Thread: automach help...

automach help...

Hey all, I'm usually over on the turning forum, but I enjoy carving too and thought I'd drop in to see about getting some advice. I recently purchased the Automach HCT-30 carver at an auction. It didn't come with a manual, no wrench and no chisels - but I couldn't pass it up for the $26.00 I paid for it.

Questions: 1. Is there somewhere that I can order a manual for this thing? And, 2. I noticed that the working end on this thing unscrews, and there's a lubricant inside. I'm just wondering what kind of lubricant do I use in that thing. What's in there now isn't dried up, but I'm not sure there's enough. The tools doesn't look like it was used that much, but never having had one, just not sure. It runs smooth and seems to carve just fine.

Any advice on using this thing, the type of lube to put in the head of it, or anything else you can tell me to watch for would be greatly appreciated. I did purchase the 14 piece set of the flexcut chisels to use with it. Thanks!

Hi Steve,
    I just bought a new one recently. I had a used one before that and they are a great tool. Congrats on getting one so reasonably. Did you get the adapters for the Flexcut blades to fit into it? Little brass thingies that go on the end of the blade that inserts into the unit?
    I will see how much of a manual comes with the new one....really haven't had a chance to do much with it since I got it. If it's a single sheet of paper folded up, I can just throw it on the copier and send you a copy. I bought the big Automach at a yardsale about a year ago. It's a big metal box housing with a flexshaft and reciprocating gouge on the other end..... it's a power house unit. Paid $20. for it. But no vendors in the US sell the extra blades for it. It takes a different blade altogether, than the smaller, hand held unit. I emailed the company in Japan and they were wonderful.....fell all over themselves trying to be helpful. They apologized profusely for the fact that nobody over here, seemed to sell the blades for it. They emailed me a catalog page with the different blades and gave me a price per blade that was the same, no matter which blades I picked. I ordered 9 of them, paid with credit card (always notify your credit card company about foreign purchases) and then they speed shipped them to me. The order arrived in 3 days.....from Japan. I almost fell over when it came that quick.

Of course, the 9 blades were $120......but well worth having. But back to the smaller, hand held unit...let me get out to my shop and dig the paperwork out of the box. Will get back to you a bit later on this..... I don't remember lubing my old one but the paperwork should tell if it needs it. BTW, I sold my old one...it too was a yard sale find and I sold it for more than I paid for it...but then regretted getting rid of it...LOL. Live and learn....
    Last edited by Susan Mattix; 03-08-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Steve,
    Regarding oil, the info sheet from the box says: "Basically, oiling is not necessary, because the wood carver uses grease. If you change with new grease, you may enjoy longer life of carver.. Apply grease to the wood carver properly as follows, loosen the ring nut and remove the reciprocating head piece. Wipe off grease and dirt. Apply new heavy grease (wheel bearing grease). The fold out sheet of paper deals with a bunch of do's and don'ts and safety issues. Also, set up, other accessories that you can order for the machine and finally some maintenance. It is folded into 3 sections, printed front and back so 6 pages. If you pm your mailing address to me, I can copy it and sent it or we can try to scan and email... I'll be glad to do either one. Just let me know. Oh and the brass thingies I mentioned, are shims for the Flexcut brand blades.

Susan, thanks for the info. I've pm'd you back so we'll try the email route first. I did get the flexcut set for the power carvers and I bought the shims the other day at the local woodcraft. I actually cut some small strips of thin brass that I had laying around and used that for a while, worked fine. On the lube, I had already opened the end of mine up and noticed that it was grease as opposed to oil. I was wondering if there was a certain kind to use. Wheel bearing grease is no problem there. Thanks again for the info.