Thread: Can I spray brushing lacquer?

Question Can I spray brushing lacquer?

I love spraying lacquer! However, it's getting harder and harder to find spraying lacquer in qt. quantities but have found brushing lacquer relatively easy to find. And I hate using "rattle can" stuff for larger applications.
    If I thin properly, can I spray brushing lacquer and get the same results as using spray grade lacquer.
    Whew...said a lot to ask such a simple question.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

Joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I have not sprayed 'real' lacquer. I have sprayed Deft brushing lacquer and Deft Finish lacquer from a rattle can.

The results are the same.

I advise thinning the brushing lacquer with lacquer thinner. I forget (SORRY) what ratio I used.

I have only sprayed Deft brushing laquer. I think I thinned it 50/50. It works just fine sprayed.

Sure you can

Brushing lacquer is designed to flow out over a longer period than spraying lacquer. Usually a "retarder" is used in the formulation to achieve this.

If you're going to spray it you'll just have to be a bit more careful about dust and laying it on too thick. I'd thin it as little as possible for best results.

Joe, what brand brushing lacquer are you using? I've only seen the Deft products. There are applications where I would like to find some alternative brushing lacquers.