Thread: David Marks 16" Beast ???

David Marks 16" Beast ???

hey have you guys ever seen david marks ( wood works ) 16" jointer...it's a beast and i have read somewhere that iit is powered by a 1hp motor....does anyone know what kind it is....and if the 1 hp motor is a rumor ...i would love to know ....i would love to have one ...grizzly sells one bu tit is a large pricey thing , his looks used , and i have looked on several web sites that sells used jointers and tools, they are there but most have large 3 phase motors and look like alot of work to get back into good working order.....if any of you can advise i would love to know......thanks and you all have a good one....and make lots of saw dust..
    " For Furniture that you will keep in the Family"

Chris

I believe that David's big jointer (he has more than one in the shop) is a vintage machine, not something recently produced. A 1hp motor would be fine assuming you are only taking very light cuts...which many of us do anyway even when there is a lot more power available. Pushing wide material through a heavy cut requires "Popeye the Sailor Man" to accomplish!

Many of the 3 phase machines you see can either be converted to a single phase motor or powered via phase converter. A vintage machine, even with the cost of the converter, can still be a whole lot less than buying a new machine!! And you get the satisfaction of knowing it intimately from your restoration work, too. See John Shuk's recent thread on the 12" jointer he just won on EBAY and picked up. Sparky P also recently aquired one.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-23-2005 at 2:39 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yes it's a vintage machine, he bought it used for about $1700 years ago, fixed it up and painted it. i am not sure which brand, but definetely a 3hp motor. i took a 3 day one on one with him and had fun using it, it is a beast, only thing, it has a 2 knife cutter head. also, the bearings need more oil than an old truck, he said he had to check on it often.
    if you really want to go that big, look around, or get one of the new oliver machines, they have a 10", 12" or 16" bed. i have the 10" jointer, definetely all the jointer i need. mine has a 84" long bed, the 12" is 96" and the 16" is around 108" long.

sascha

Watching Wood Works is certainly a contributing factor to me "having to have" a big jointer. I want the ability to bring stock through at an angle to reduce tearout. I also plan to use it to put a clean face on my turning blanks. The other factor is that I want to have the biggest baddest power tool on the block.

ok so who makes the oliver machines???? a 10 inch sounds just about right for me

Chris

It's made in Taiwan I think. The only relation to the original "Oliver" is the name. All designs were bought by a former employee and rights to the name were bought by an offshore company. I have to say that their jointer looks top notch. When Sascha got his Oliver I was pretty impressed by the look of the machine. Can't attest to the performance but it looks nice and solid. There has been an SCMI (MiniMax)jointer planer on Ebay for a while now for about $2800. I think it is new but don't know if it has a warranty. Might be worth a search. It has been relisted a few times and is located in Staten Island, NY.

As John said these machines are manuf in Taiwan and imported by Sunhill machinery located in Seattle. http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/
    Here is the link to their 10" jointer
    http://olivermachinery.net/machines.asp?machine=4240

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by christopher webb
    ok so who makes the oliver machines???? a 10 inch sounds just about right for me

well grizly has a 12" and a 16" ....well they have up to a 20" , i already own a 6" and a 8" grizzly , and i could not be happier, i was just really courious about a larger machine , thats alot of machine to put in my home shop thats only 20x30.....theres enough eguipment in there already , but i am interested in gettin one someday , i was just wondering what david's was , i swear that i read somewhere it was powered by a 1 hp motor , but who knows....well you all have a good one, i have pics on the way of some new stuff , i just finished an entire kitchen cabinet set for a man out of wormy chestnut....man it is beautiful, more details to come.....goto go make saw dust

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk
    Watching Wood Works is certainly a contributing factor to me "having to have" a big jointer. I want the ability to bring stock through at an angle to reduce tearout. I also plan to use it to put a clean face on my turning blanks. The other factor is that I want to have the biggest baddest power tool on the block.
    I already have the biggest, baddest power tools on my block! Ohhh!! You meant at SMC!! Well good luck in your searching for that beast!

I think that the brand of DJ Marks Jointer is "American Wood Working Machinery"; I saw one very similar on ebay sometime last year (including the large perforated pork chop guard) and it was that brand.

Here is a link to a similar 12" machine:
    http://www.oldwwmachines.com/PhotoIn...il.asp?id=1765

JM
    Downingtown, PA

Quote Originally Posted by sascha gast
    [snip] the bearings need more oil than an old truck, he said he had to check on it often. [snip]
    Those are Babbitt bearings and you have to add oil to the resivoir every 10-15 minutes which is part of how the system works

If you are looking for a vintage machine just be aware of Babbitt bearings and whether or not they can be converted. If you don't mind adding oil and re-pouring the bearings then Babbits aren't a big deal, but if you don't like to mess with machinery, then make sure it comes with ball bearings or can be converted to ball bearings

you are right, john, that's the same brand, david just has the 16".

i still rather have my 10" oliver, couldn't be happier.

sascha

On that same site, here is mine. 12", Am. WW Mach.
    http://www.oldwwmachines.com/PhotoIn...il.asp?id=1497
    I put the Byrd head on it, a specially made one, and it was spendy, but to me worth it.
    Most of the big old jointers were DMD (direct motor drive), and all were 3 phase. Becuase of the DMD, just switching it out for a single phase is not possible, I have been told. Mine was converted to a belt drive before I bought it.
    Alan

Christopher Webb

Check with Steve Wall Lumber company in Mayodan NC. This is a great firm to work with. Great lumber stock and they are a dealer for the Oliver line of woodworking machinery.
    Look it up on the web.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.