Thread: Which categories of finish have a water-based product?

Which categories of finish have a water-based product?

I very recently bought an HVLP (Earlex 5000) and used it the first time this weekend to spray a primer on some paint grade cabinets I am making. I dreaded cleaning the gun afterwords, but as a result of using a water based primer, it was pretty easy. This got me thinking that I might prefer to stick with nothing but water based finishes when I spray. If I were to do this, that knocks out the oils immediately (my preferred category). What categories of finish would that leave me to select from?
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

No finishes except milk paint are "water based". Finishes that clean up with water are called "waterborne acrylics" There are polys, waterbased shellac and waterborne faux lacquers. Most consumer brand finish companies make their own brands of waterborne finishes. Each has there adherents and advocates.
    Howie.........

By the way, waterborne finishes aren't really the easiest of finishes for cleaning from spray equipment. Sure you can use water. But, if something happens to delay the cleanup it will cure and become more of a challenge. The traditional spray product is lacquer, (not catalyzed) and it will still dissolve in lacquer thinner after it dries, giving you a window to fix a screw up. Of course it is flammable, so amateurs usually resort to a shade tree spray booth.