Thread: CCs vs Horsepower??

CCs vs Horsepower??

Checking out new snow-blowers and now everything is in CCs?
    What happened to good ol' HP?

Because the manufactures were basically BS'ing us. And they got caught. a 12 HP lawn mower actually had only 7 hp
    If you ain't Cheatin', You ain't tryin'...

"If A equals success, then the formula is, A = X + Y + Z, Where X is work, Y is play, And Z is keep your mouth shut." -Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Arndts View Post
    Because the manufactures were basically BS'ing us. And they got caught. a 12 HP lawn mower actually had only 7 hp
    Got caught??

Quote Originally Posted by sunny nic View Post
    Got caught??
    The govt doesn't take too kindly to consumers being misled by false claims. *shrug* except by them, of course

I went through the same deal a few months back. it was hard to compare new models with previous ones, but with a little searching you can come to a rough comparison. I think my Ariens is a 350cc or so, which equates to a 10HP. Their 305cc was about 8HP.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I was trying to figure out how to get one of those 17 hp Sears vacuum motors in my tablesaw.

Yes, and they also use torque numbers on some machines, my Simplicity snowblower that use to be a 13 hp is now a 16.50 I think. The bigger number impresses us bigger is better Americans!

My lawn mower says 7.5. I doubt it is that much horse power. Can't find the actual specs right now.

The HP numbers were basically useless for comparing small engines. For snowblowers bigger is usually better but look for torque ratings. More torque is what you need to move snow.
    If you have the torque you can figure the HP: (Torque X RPM) / 5252 = Horsepower

Comparing CC's will not really tell you much. My MGB had a 1998 CC engine that produced 98 HP in its prime, My Pontiac Solstice has a 1998 CC engine that produces 250 HP, I have a model airplane engine that is .65 CC and produces over 1 1/2 HP.

Compression, fuel delivery etc are all variables that can affect power.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Vaughn View Post
    Comparing CC's will not really tell you much. My MGB had a 1998 CC engine that produced 98 HP in its prime, My Pontiac Solstice has a 1998 CC engine that produces 250 HP, I have a model airplane engine that is .65 CC and produces over 1 1/2 HP.

Compression, fuel delivery etc are all variables that can affect power.
    do your 2 cars use the same fuel as your airplane engine ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    do your 2 cars use the same fuel as your airplane engine ?
    That was the point of my post. CCs are just one factor in power output. Based soley on CCs the MGB and the Solstice should be equal.

Well, to gloat a bit, I ended up with an Ariens rated at 14.75 torque. (305 cc).
    Went to buy a john Deere but ended up with an Ariens.
    Man can this thing throw snow!

HP= KQNr
    Horsepower equals a torgue constant (K) unique to the specific gearbox times torque (Q) ( usually in ft pounds) times Nr
    (gearbox revolutions per minute.) Hard to get a direct relationship between CC's and Horsepower.