Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osage Lumber Gloat...

Osage Lumber Gloat...

Never posted a gloat before...not sure if this qualifies but I think so. I just purchased 10 slabs of Osage Orange lumber. I've never seen Osage in this thickness or width before, called some friends in the lumber business here in Maryland and they claimed they had once or twice over the last 15-20years, but claimed what I brought home was very, very rare....

Take a look at the photos...4 of these slabs are around 15" widths, the rest are all near 8", and they are all 10/4 and 12/4 thick, and all are around 6' long!!! Some live edges, a few inclusions and checks, but for the most part clear and straight...moisture was measured at around 3.5%. The seller claimed he milled this back in 2004 on his portable mill, from an old growth tree that was approximately 8' in diameter...

IMG00091-20110307-2201.jpg IMG00090-20110307-2201.jpgIMG00089-20110307-2200.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Building a New Shop...

Very nice, Chris. What are you planning on doing with it all? Did you get a good price on it?
    I drink, therefore I am.

Ooops forgot the gloat part...$240 for the whole lot. I've got a krenov cabinet stand and the legs/stretchers for a trestle table in mind...

Chris
    Building a New Shop...

So, about 120 bf? For $240? So, about $2 a bf. I don't know what Osage Orange goes for, but sounds like a great price to me! Nice haul.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Osage Orange (hedge apple) makes great hot-burning firewood. The old-timers said you could burn a stove down with the stuff, so they mixed it with other wood. Good luck milling it for a project. It is harder than hickory, so, have your carbide really sharp!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

When my sod-buster antecedents travelled the Santa Fe Trail to central eastern Kansas, they planted osage orange along their property/pasture lines. It took a few years, but it grew into a fence line that was impenetrable by cattle. They've [including current owner 5th generation nephew] spent the many years since thinning it out, but it's still there, and it still works as advertised. I never saw any in the Flint Hills that was anywhere near that big, though. Maybe it doesn't grow that big there, or maybe just they've never let it grow that big?

Knda jealous, actually, Chris............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    So, about 120 bf? For $240? So, about $2 a bf. I don't know what Osage Orange goes for, but sounds like a great price to me! Nice haul.
    And it's all 10/4 and 12/4! Not "cheap ol' 4/4".

Chris....YOU SUCK!!!

That is a good whack o' lumber. We do have lots of osage orange out here in KS but it is rare to find a tree big enough to yield that kind of lumber. I've seen it sell for $6-11 a bd/ft so I'm thinking you got a pretty good deal.

That's a great deal.. In all seriousness. If you want to sell a flat rate box of cutoffs after you finish your project, let me know.. I could use some small pieces.

I've worked with it quite a bit. It is hard, but wow, you can really get a nice finish. What I don't like are the hidden flaws. You can have a piece that looks perfect, but rip it and find that it has voids that you could not see. I seem to waste a lot of osage orange when I'm building things. Fun wood to play with though. I always wanted to build a woodworking bench out of osage orange.

I grew up on a farm in Kentucky that was surrounded by Osage Orange. Called Mock Orange where I came from. Ours were 80 of years old or so. There was nothing vaguely that large. Perhaps they limit one another when used for a fence.
    I used them for a very large set of backgammon pieces and they are beautiful, beautiful. They turned a very dark brown pretty quickly. The end grain is gorgeous. I was afraid they would go oval as they got older, but they've stayed round.

Believe it or not, there are very, very few inclusions in these. I took the selects from what was available and I've done a resaw (not too bad with a Lennox 1/2" carbide blade) on one of the smaller pieces and no inclusions so far.

I'm going to be starting on that trestle table this spring...and I'm headed back to the source this weekend to pick up some 14/4 chunks for plane building.

I'd certainly entertain selling a slab to cover my costs on this if anyone in the Maryland area has an interest.
    Building a New Shop...

That's a nice gloat. I had some OO (Bodark, Bois d' Arc) milled to 8/4 and kiln dried for a Hal Taylor rocking chair a couple of years ago. I paid around $11 per bf for it so you got a smoking deal. I also sold the rocker for a very attractive price.

Bois d' Arc is hard but it's not too difficult to work. I bought new blades for my jointer before working it, thinking I would dull the ones already installed but that didn't happen. It does want to splinter a bit and tear out when routing. I had to climb cut most everything.

I think it's a stunning wood, especially after it darkens to that golden brown color.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Osage is also the premier bow making wood - if you are inclined to fling an arrow or two.

I sold all that I cut and air dried for $4.00/BF, but it is all gone now. I wish that I had some more. You did not get a smoking good deal, you got a smoking smoking smoking good deal!