Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Style Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Shaker Style Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Here is a cabinet I designed after a classic Shaker secretary to fit our iMac. I started this just before Christmas and just about have it finished - I've only applied a coat of BLO and will spray it (pre-cat lacquer) as soon as it warms up. It's a bit dull right now, but once it's sprayed, it will pop quite a bit more. Regardless, these pics are a long time coming... too long.

Pretty straight forward construction. I paid a great deal of attention to the grain on the doors to make sure that it all flows and is cut, if possible, from a single board. All the dovetails are cut by hand so that I could get the thinnest of pins. The door handles and desk stays came from Whitechapel, while the hinges came from Horton Brass. Both produce top notch hardware! Excellent stuff. Some of the screws were too shiny so I blued them with liquid gun blue. A great trick that gives a nice look to otherwise shiny screws!

If you want to check out all my construction pics, you can check them out at my blog that's linked under my name. They're under "new work."

Anyway, that should about cover the bases. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that is stunning, Jason. Really a beauty.
    That drop leaf really hangs out pretty far from the stays. Is there something underneath to support it further?
    Also, could you elaborate on the bluing of the screws? It sound like a good trick.

Well done.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Thanks Brian.

First - yes the drop section hangs out a bit. There is no support other than the stays. In the 90's Thos. Moser made something similar and he used only these stays. The shakers simply used a chain. Their held up quite well, so we see what history will hold for this one. But I agree, it does stick out a good way though. Unfortunately, that part was dictated by the size of the computer.

Second - I use liquid gun blue that I picked up at my local sports store. I just dip the heads into the liquid and they turn black within 10-20 seconds. Wipe them off, do it one more time, wipe it off again, and you're good to go! A bottle should last a woodworker for a long, long time and it runs about $6.

Beautiful piece! It's reminiscent of Krenov's work! Well done!!

Jason, You have done a stunning job on this project. The Shakers would be impressed with your work. Do you do other Shaker items as well?
    Very well done!!

very nice!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Agreed. Very nice project indeed Jason!

What is the wood -- cherry? Very nice looking.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Thanks everyone!

Jeff, yep the wood is cherry. Nice call!

Don, I tend to build in the Shaker style and have been attracted to the simpler style of their furniture. I have a number of pieces that I've posted here over the years that you can check out. Or you can check out my blog/photo gallery. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Jason,

Another beautiful piece of furniture...... GREAT work.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Truly elegant.

Jason, thats a really nice piece. Very elegant design, and your wood choice really compliments it all. As usual your photos are outstanding too. Nicely done.

And he's back! Great work Jason! It was great fun following the construction of this piece. I love, love, love the fine pins of your dovetails. This piece really has "it". I can't define "it" but all of your work has "it"! Someday I hope to have the courage to shun my Leigh jig so I can employ some fine pinned dovetails like that. You should be proud, hinge boo-boo aside. HA!

Best,

Darren

Jason -

Excellent all around...hardware, design, dovetails, wood selection, attention to detail with wood grain. The lighting on a first 3 pics gives it an old time look!

Blog Entries
    Jason, excellent looking piece. It appears there is a notch in the back in picture #5 what is the purpose of that notch?

Also there appears to be a horizontal line across the tops of the tails on the dovetails in that same picute Is this line real or an optical illusion? What purpose does it serve if it is real?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Another fine example of your excellent craftsmanship Jason. Love those perfect tiny pins...