Thread: Carter Guide Bearings Jammed with Dust

Carter Guide Bearings Jammed with Dust

Anyone else having the problem of Carter band saw bearings jamming with dust until they freeze up? I'm having to take them apart and clean them up 2X or more per year and this is becoming a PITA. These bearings are billed as "sealed" but they are not, they merely have a cover on them which pops off with a knife. Are these just cheap bearings that can be replaced with honestly sealed bearings?

what is the guide model?
    what are the bearing numbers?
    you can order a rubber seal bearing, rather than the shielded you seem to be having a problem with.
    They both come off with a knife though.

Bobby.
    If I told you who I was or what I did, I'd get kicked out of here....
    (it's happened before...)

Can't help you with the bearings, but you could make some blocks out of lignum vitae and forget about them.

Harvey, I noticed one of my lower bearings is gone already. I was a little surprised too given the low usage mine sees.

Brad

Blog Entries
    What type of dust collection setup do you guys have. Are all the debris getting drawn away as you cut? My Grizzly G0513X has been used at least weekly for over 3 years and I have just replaced the first lower bearing a couple weeks ago. The other 9 are still just fine and I have to believe Carter's are at or above this quality.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, I have a good DC system. I was not too concerned, and I might have got one bad bearing. I have resawn enough to justify one new bearing.

Brad

I have DC on the saw but its the upper bearings I first notice stop spinning. BTW, if they stop turning and seize up, that doesn't mean they've gone bad. Take a knife and pop the covers off both sides, drop them in mineral spirits for a few minutes and then blow the crap out with air hose. They'll then work fine, for me usually another 3 months until I have to do it over again. I do resawing almost daily, so my useage is much higher than most you.

I check prices on bearings, it ranges from $16 to $23 per single bearing. With ten bearings on the set up, this gets expensive. As for going back to blocks, no thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Rabbett View Post
    I check prices on bearings, it ranges from $16 to $23 per single bearing.
    Ouch! Are those Carter's prices? I got a set of 10 for my G0513X for under $20. I've still only used one but my use is much less than yours. I have blocks on one of my saws and see no issue with them. The bearings are nice on the larger blades but there are folks who prefer solid guides there as well. Whatever works.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hi Harvey,

If you look around on line you should be able to get those bearings for about $1 a piece. Try here... http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/1.html

+1 on not getting your bearings from them. Shop around. NO way I'd pay that much. They probably don't make thier own bearings, so you should be able to get them from a local shop also. Bring the broken one in, bearings only come in so many different sizes.

On mineral spirits. Sealed bearings have lubricant in them. Using mineral spirits willl probably leach the lube out. If you do that, you should add some actual lubricant back. I like synthetic oil. They penetrate pretty good. Drain them back out, since excessive lube is just as bad. Normally I try not to soak them in a solvent, just blow them out with air, hit it with synth lube blow out again. The synth lube gets rid of junk too. Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Hi Harvey,

If you look around on line you should be able to get those bearings for about $1 a piece. Try here... http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/1.html
    All, please excuse this side bar question: I use a lot of different bearings on some of my router bits. Is this a good place to find different diameter bearings for such bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    All, please excuse this side bar question: I use a lot of different bearings on some of my router bits. Is this a good place to find different diameter bearings for such bits?
    You need to find a bearing supply house. One that just does bearing. You will find you can buy a better quality bearing in most cases, and the prices will always be far less. Everything from you router bearings to ones for your front end loader will be available without the markup. I buy all my Router/shaper/ and machine bearings from Detroit Ball Bearing [Name was changed] Take in your old bearings and they will get the # off of it and tell you what options are available.

I bought replacement bearings for my G0555 on ebay for about 10 + 4 new guide bearings for around $20.

I've not heard of problems with the Carter bearings, though. I'd call them and see if they'll replace them. I have only heard good things about the carter guides and bearings.