Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roubo Folding Bookstand

Roubo Folding Bookstand

Has anyone attempted a Neander Roubo Folding bookstand?

I took the lead from Roy Underhill documented in the Feb 2011 issue of Pop Wood magazine. Christopher Schwarz made a video showing the hinge marking and cutting. I took it a step further to show the rest of it. It's all Neander except for drilling the 1/16" holes in the hinges for the fret saw. They have to be perfectly plum and I don't have the confidence in my hand drilling to do that right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-rncivcdk
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a Neander but that was a great video and a beautiful project.

Nice job Rick. Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed it immensely.

Rick, Thanks for the video. I gotta tell ya, I got really nervous a few times watching it. It turned out great! I don't know if I have the skill, make that eyesight, to make one of those.
    Thanks,
    Bob Warfield

Bravo. Kudos to your video crew as well. What a great project!

Thanks for all the kind words! It was a fun project to try (especially after seeing Scharz's video).

Bob, You were nervous? I think I lost a few handfuls of hair on the first two I made. The video was shot on the second one. The third one I made actually came out the best. I rounded over the hinges on that one. The video shows the simpler 45-degree paring.

Joe, My 13 year old son shot the video. I was very pleased with what he came up with. I wasn't paying much attention while he was shooting. I narrated some of the steps but didn't like it so we decided to just overlay it with music. The piano was a whole lot better than anything I contributed verbally.

Real nice video Rick. And real nice work.
    Ripping a chunk of wood like that wide would be a test of ones skills. Nicely done.

Hi Rick,

Really enjoyed your video. And that's some impressive woodworking also.

Hope your two saws are working out well for you. I was hoping to see them in the video.

Catchyalater,
    Marv

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."

~Maya Angelou~

Marv, the saws are great! I couldn't be more pleased. I forgot to shoot footage of the initial dimensioning of the wood. You would have seen them there. I may be contacting you down the road for a few finer PPIs.

Excellent work, Rick. Sawing is easily my least favorite neander task, and you pulled it off well.

Mike

Nice! That was the first Woodwrights show I ever saw and have been wanting to try it for years. You're taking away all my excuses )

Yep! Just the other weekend I did one in American Chestnut. The wood was salvage from old church pews. Worked reasonably well but I'm no great fan of chestnut, at least the samples I have. Weird changing density, and not the way pine does as you move through early- and late-wood. I would find pockets of softer wood as I chiseled. Didn't seem like rot either, color and texture matched but I could go from sweetly chiseling to chunky just by moving over 3/8" in some places. Odd.

Anyway, I've got a cherry version in the works.

I'll find my photos later today and post the finished Chestnut one.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Blog Entries
    Great video Rick.

Is there much planing after cutting the halves apart?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

DSCN2127.jpg
    American Chestnut
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Jim, I guess it depends on how well you ripped it ;-) My first one didn't get too well. I lost about 3/32" of thickness trying to smooth the faces. I had a bow in the middle that I had to plane out. The second one went better. I went cross-grain with my 5 1/2 as close to the hinges as I could get and then used a shoulder plane at the hinge joints. A little 220 at the end to clean things up. I tried a hand scraper but couldn't get good leverage with the awkwardness of the faces when the stand was open.

Rob, I couldn't imagine doing this in Chestnut. Walnut is just such a perfect hand tool wood.