Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have this jointer...

Question Does anyone have this jointer...

Jet JJ-6CSX 6" closed stand?

I'm checking with the experts before finally purchasing a jointer. You're input will help determine a "go or no go" decision. I've used the opinions from the Pond to buy several tools and now would like to hear the voice from the Creek!

What do you think? Is this a decent piece of equipment? Is it up to Jet's standard of quality? What's your experience been?

Thanks for all input!
    Mark

It's a good machine, but if I had to do it over again I would have gone with an 8" or a 12" planer/jointer combo like the Rojek.

Thanks Marty-

I've been looking to add this one to the stable for a while and have read all the debates for stepping up to the 8". I've put off the purchase for too long and now the honey do list has grown to the point I could possibly lose all tool priviledges if I don't start producing some of the requested items and a jointer is needed for these items.

I'm thinking that I'll keep this for a couple years and then upgrade to the 8".
    Mark

"Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
    Will Rogers

I have one and like it a lot. Even more so since I put a Shop Fox mobile base on it (shop's only 10' X 16'). Planed lots of white and red oak and still on the first set of knives.

The Jet is a great 6" jointer.

I have the 6" Jet closed stand jointer. It's a very nice machine, built very well and performs great. Having the handwheels for table height adjustment mounted on the front of the machine is nice, so long as you don't have young kids visiting your work shop -- those wheels seemed to attract my youngest child like a magnet! As with any decent jointer, the quality of your cuts will depend on how sharp your blades are and how accurately they are installed. Knife installation on the Jet is straightforward with jack screw adjustment.

I think the only 6" jointer that has an advantage over the Jet would be the long-bed Powermatic, which is significantly more expensive.

Now it's time to fess up: I have to admit I have a new Delta 8" jointer in my garage in the process of being assembled. The Jet has been a workhorse for me, but I was lured by the siren song of an extra 2" in width and 30" in bed length.

I don't regret buying the Jet 6", but I would have saved myself some money in the long run if I had bought an 8" jointer in the first place. Something to think about. -- Paul

(P.S. -- depending on where you live (shipping charges, you know), the 8" Yorkcraft jointer from Wilke Machinery looks like a smoking deal -- within a couple hundred bucks of the 6" Jet.)

I "had" one but sold it to step up to an 8" Powermatic 60. The Jet is a very good jointer but the bed length on 6" jointers (except the 54A) are just too small. I would save up for a long bed jointer in whatever width you like.

Paul-
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't mention that if the Jet purchase is made it will be scratch and dent- don't even know what the price is on an 8" s&d Jet- Guess I better check it out. If the $'s close I'll have some more figgering to do.
    Mark

Will Rogers

I used to have one of those.

I like the dual handwheels and the fence design, which are the only things really separating this jointer from any number of Taiwan/China 6" jointers out there. Some use a different fence or levers, or a smaller motor, but they are basically all the same.

I outgrew a 6" joiter very quickly. I replaced it and my Delta lunchbox planer (total new cost about $900) with a Robland 12" jointer/planer combo machine (used price about $1500, or $2700 new).

There's no comparison between the two. The Robland is a far superior machine in every way. I'd say if you can find a combo machine on the used market, you might now pay much more for it than a 6" jointer and high end lunchbox planer might cost, and you will get a much better machine for it that you won't likely outgrow for some time.

Rob

I have the Jet 6" closed stand jointer. I'm very pleased with it but I can also affirm the trend that you may see developing in this thread. I wish I had an 8" jointer instead. The Jet 6" is a great value IMO.

-Kevin

I like mine.

Mark... I've got that jointer and like it just fine. No room in my shop for a larger jointer. The fence design is good. I rarely do any adjusting of my setup but it stays dead-on and the blades are robust. I'd buy it again.

Diane

Re: I like mine.

Originally posted by Diane Maluso
    Mark... I've got that jointer and like it just fine. No room in my shop for a larger jointer. The fence design is good. I rarely do any adjusting of my setup but it stays dead-on and the blades are robust. I'd buy it again.

Diane

Diane- When someone would buy the same make and model again after having used one, that is a pretty strong endorsement. Thanks a lot!

Still debating 6" vs 8" though.
    Mark

Will Rogers

i have it...love it, and recommend it. i would hovever, if doing it again,....seriously look at the grizzly 8 inch for a few hundred more. space was a limitation for me when buying mine. good luck
    chris

6" vs 8"...my choice

Mark...decided when I got my Jet 6" that it would be adequate. If I had an 8" I'd probably want a 12" or 16". My projects will be predominantly in the Arts and Crafts (Mission) style and I can't foresee the need to face join anything over 3". I also think 6' will be about the limit on length. Anything wider than 6" would be glue-ups anyway. I'm also limited on space but even if I weren't I'd think more than twice before spending the extra for an 8" for my uses.

John- That's really where I am with this decision and I can't foresee the need to face joint anything larger than 6". I'll still check the price of the 8" s&d, though.

All the differing views really are helpful- thanks everyone!
    Mark

Will Rogers

Mark, If you intend on working with short boards, less than six feet, then the 6" will work fine. If you will be working with longer boards then read on.

It's not only about face jointing. Typically the 8" jointers have a longer infeed table, which allows you to joint longer boards with less trouble. With that said, there are now some manucacturers that make long bed 6" jointers, Powermatic comes to mind.

My decision to buy an 8" inch was based on my experience of trying to side joint an eight foot board. it is virtually impossible to hold the face tight against the fence while pushing the board along the jointer.

You only have to be mad at your tool once to realize you made the wrong decision. (experience talking)
    Jim