Thread: Clear plastic cylinder?

Clear plastic cylinder?

I would like to make a couple of these spool holders for storing spools of fly tying thread. The spools are held in place by the clear plastic cylinder as the inner spindle is rotated. The cylinder is approximately 4" diameter. I could adjust the size a little larger or smaller if needed. I have tried to bend thin plexiglass into the cylinder shape but it breaks. The cylindar needs to be rigid enough to hold its shape but flexible enough to bend. Or I need to start with a cylinder shape to begin with.

Any suggestions as to the material or a source for a clear plastic cylinder. I thought about using 4" pvc pipe but clear would really be better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If fishing is a sport I MUST be an athlete!"

I Googled 'Clear plastic cylinder' and got a lot of sources.

You may be able to bend the plexliglass by attaching one end to a round form and then heating it to allow it to bend around it.

Careful! It's a fine line between bending and melting!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

tap plastics or call around and see if you local supplier.
    edit mcmaster-carr sell clear tubing as well.
    Last edited by David Hawxhurst; 03-09-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Royce,

If properly heated, acrylic will make surprisingly tight bends... a 4" cylinder is no problem whatsoever. If you need a full cylinder (no cuts), they sell acrylic tubing, but expect to pay a good price for such a large diameter. Bending a flat piece is much cheaper.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

How long do you need them to be? I ask because my wife has a bunch of clear acrylic containers to store cookies, spaggetti, crackers and such that might work if you cut the bottom off them. She likely gets them from Target or a grocery store and I think they are pretty cheap.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Crafts people heat and bend/mold plexiglass all the time.

I did it in 8th grade shop.

There are videos all over the internet.

and then there are places like this:

http://www.torontoplastics.ca/
    Last edited by Bill Edwards(2); 03-09-2011 at 12:53 PM.

maybe discarded tennis ball containers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I Googled 'Clear plastic cylinder' and got a lot of sources.
    I had checked some of the online sites. In most cases the 4" diameter is much too expensive, especially when you include shipping.

Royce,

I have some acrylic (I think) tubing that is around 4" diameter. 1/4" wall thickness, if I remember correctly. I'll have to look up what I paid for the stuff, I'd be happy to send you a piece at cost plus shipping. If you up to contributor status, I'll send you a piece for free, you just pay the shipping. PM me if your interested.

-Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Royce,

If properly heated, acrylic will make surprisingly tight bends... a 4" cylinder is no problem whatsoever. If you need a full cylinder (no cuts), they sell acrylic tubing, but expect to pay a good price for such a large diameter. Bending a flat piece is much cheaper.
    Thanks Dan. I may give heating and bending a try. As a matter of fact it will not be a full cylinder. There needs to be a space between the 2 ends to allow removal of the selected spool of thread.

Search for "pasta express" on the web. It's one of those "as seen on TV" cooking things, and the main component is a clear plexiglass tube. They're around 10 or 15 bucks, cheaper on the web. I got one for free from someone because it didn't actually work for the intended purpose, but it may be just the thing for raw material. Probably the best way to cut it is with a bandsaw but band selection is important to avoid blowing it up or chipping.
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 03-09-2011 at 1:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    Royce,

I have some acrylic (I think) tubing that is around 4" diameter. 1/4" wall thickness, if I remember correctly. I'll have to look up what I paid for the stuff, I'd be happy to send you a piece at cost plus shipping. If you up to contributor status, I'll send you a piece for free, you just pay the shipping. PM me if your interested.

-Andrew
    Thanks for the offer. I have some of the plexiglass sheet left. Let me give heating and bending a shot. If that doesn't work I'll consider your offer.