Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Grizzly Table Saw - Advice on How to Get It to the Basement

I've been meaning to checkout the appliance dollies, seems like now is the time to figure out how they work.
    My budget hand cart is not not going to cut it.

Around here lowland gorillas are expensive (or maybe it's that I'm cheap). But I might be able to lure my nephew in to help with an offer of beer and one of the nice Freud combo blades I scored at the Sears clearance.

I usually just find someone to borrow an appliance cart from if I need one, but if I were going to purchase one, it would be the following:

I haven't seen any others that work as well. Yeats have ratcheting straps that lock. Many of the other brands just have an "S" bar that you shift into place to lock the straps.

No affiliation!

http://www.yeatsdolly.com/dolly.html

Probably the #14.

Thanks for the link to yeats dolly
    Good advice too on #14 with the double ratchet.

Got me looking more generally at appliance dollys and how they work.

I need to check on rentals.

U-Haul supposedly rents for $10.
    Our local A1 probably has them too.

I'm still leaning to removing the top and motor first.

Haven't heard anyone mention serious problems doing this other than it takes more time.
    I don't mind spending some extra time to making the heavy work easier and safer.

Steve

I checked out our local rental place - appliance dollies rent for $7.
    Has double straps and the small rubber belts near the bottom to roll down the stairs - step by step is the plan.

So I'm all set there.

Do you have a Bilco door access, if so then two 2x10's from top to bottom and a winch cable (come along) to lower it on ramp.

Going down is the easy part. Good luck ever getting it back up the stairs.

Randy - It's an inside stair

Pat - That saw will not come out of the basement until/if we ever move.
    No problem then because it will be professional movers.

BTW, I saw a video demonstrating a battery powered stair climbing dolly.
    One guy moved an 800# safe to the second floor

The motor is a pain in the back side to get the belts tensioned. Maybe if you did it with the top still off. Definitely need 3 hands to do it. I removed the top on mine to wallow out the mounting holes in the cabinet top to get it aligned where I was happy. It was fun to get re aligned, but not horrible. Make sure you have a flat plate, like the Master Plate or similar, and a dial indicator on something like a miter bar. Very handy for getting the blade parallel to the miter slots. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I moved my new sawstop downstairs using a good appliance cart and one helper. I'm not one for removing the motor, but obviously all other unassembled components like the wings. A good cart, a couple helpers, and taking it slow should provide success!!!!!!!!

Jim
    Will check out the Master Plate/Miter bar alignment aids.
    BTW I know you have the 691 and have been happy with it.
    I was debating between the Grizzly 1023 and the 691 and your comments helped me get comfortable with the 691.
    Thanks for that.
    Another factor for the 691 is that the manual calls for 20 amp service (which I have) vs 30 amp for the 1023.

Bob
    Yeah, I'm a little worried about wrestling the 70 pound motor out and then back in place, so may just leave it in.
    I'll take off the top and then get the weight, I'm guessing it will be around 250 with the motor.

Thanks for the comments

I wouldn't take the saw apart. It will go fine if you have a good cart and help.

P1040762.jpgP1040759.jpgP1040755.jpg

If you have a straight stair, I would reccommend a slide.
    I moved a 650 lb Jointer/Planer to my basement shop this way.
    A 12' 2x10 will suffice for the slide/guide rail.
    I made a sled out of 3/4 ply with a couple of cleats on it that fitted to the outside of the slide
    and a couple of eyebolts to fasten ropes to.
    Then all you have to do is to fasten the sled to your saw (ropes) and lower it down the stairs.
    That nicely spreads the load over multiple stairs, and makes it an easy 2 person job.
    I know that seems like a lot of preparation for a 3 minute move, but an out of control load is deadly.

Good luck.

John
    Last edited by John Morrison60; 03-12-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add text

Take the wings off, but leave the top on if at all possible. Motor not too tough to pull if you need to.

My solution for TS, BS, 8" jointer, 15" planer to the basement: Two very big, very strong friends, one hand cart w/strap, and an iced case of beer in the basement shop at the goal line.

I didn't break a sweat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Lighten the load enough and then get the girls to do it.

http://www.squidoo.com/movingliftingstuff

Of course if that's a problem, then there is always plan "B"!

http://seenontvshop.info/?cat=1

Eddie
    Now I just need to find a midget for the high side and a 7 footer for the low side of the stairs and I'll be all set!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    There's obviously lots of ways to successfully skin this cat.

My plan is in progress.
    The Griz is stripped and all is in the basement but the cabinet..
    The cabinet weighs in at 160 pounds.
    Appliance dolly plus one helper will get the cabinet down later in the week.

Steve
    Last edited by Steven Wahlert; 03-13-2011 at 3:37 PM.