Thread: Need Wide Belt Sander recommendations?

Need Wide Belt Sander recommendations?

We are getting ready to replace our Cemco 37" wide belt sander. It was purchased used about 6 years ago and has some problems ....Repairs to it have been expensive!
    (Although repairing it SHOULD still be an option .... just not my call to make)

We had been considering the Grizzly models but our company's owner isn't sold on the Grizzly brand .

Does anyone have any first hand experience with wide belt sanders, good or bad, they could share?

I have an 37" EMC, which is made in Italy and marketed by Laguna. It is a production model with a 22.5 HP motor, and I have no complaints regarding it. I've run it 10 hours a day for weeks on end w/o any problems.

Many production facilities use the "Timesavers" brand, also made in Europe. They have an excellent reputation.

I looked at the Grizzly sanders, and liked their quality, but considering that the their 37" machines are all between 10 - 15 hp, I wanted to greater power of the European equipment.

Search the archives at Woodweb for more detailed advice from production facilities.

Thanks Scott!
    I have heard people refer to "Timesavers" usually as a generic name for any wide belt sander.... much like skilsaw is used for any portable circular saw, so I wasn't certain if there was an actual brand "Timesaver".
    I will pass those names on to the powers that be (he who signs the checks) and let them investigate further.
    Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Many production facilities use the "Timesavers" brand, also made in Europe. They have an excellent reputation.

Ahhhh, no. Timesavers Inc is based in Minnesota. Been to the factory for parts. Rumor is they have moved all manufacturing over seas, (to the Chi-Coms), though. Its the brand I will be looking at when it comes time to replace my widebelt.

Butfering is supposed to be an excellent brand.

Whatever you do, get a 43" and a dual head if you're doing cabinetry. Also the longer belt models are a worthwhile investment. You wouldn't believe how much longer the abrasives last.

[QUOTE=Karl Brogger;1657810]Ahhhh, no. Timesavers Inc is based in Minnesota. QUOTE]

Oops - thanks for the clarification.

Yup my Timesaver was built right here in the States. Of course it was built back in 1977 so things change. I have a 25 hp 43" and it's still running pretty good.
    If I were looking for new I'd certainly give Timesavers a look as well as Butfering. There are many more brands out there I just don't know enough to recommend one way or another.

good luck,
    JeffD

We got a SCM 52" 3-header about a year ago thats a joy to use, STAY AWAY FROM ASIAN SANDERS their quality isn't worth the money or risk!

Check out the Safety Speed Cut. If I remember correctly, they bought out Halsty (sp?), which made wide belt sanders using all American parts. I remember seeing the Halsty and it was extemely well made.

Timesaver or Buttring are the very best if your budget allows. It depends on what you are sanding, if you are after tight tolerance sanding, veneers etx, you can't go wrong with either and they have some unique technologies that can make your sanding more effective. SCMI is also a high end brand, but for the cost, I would just get a Timesaver. If your tolerances and budget is lower, I would stay away from the cheaper brands, Powermatic (had one of these, terrible), grizzly, etc. I do currently own an Extrema, which is very good and easy to maintain, we run it at least 8 hours a day and have had it for ~6 years. Stay away from brands that use air logic to control belt tracking.

In the end these are machines that do a hard job to tight tolerances, you should expect a decent amount of maintence to keep any brand in service. One slipped or broken belt can do a lot of damage. There are a lot sensitive controls in these machine that will be vaporized in seconds by a loose belt.
    Grothouse Lumber Company
    Andi Stratus Pro, ILS12.150, Solidworks 2012, AutoCad 2012, MasterCam X6, Coreldraw X6

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I will pass these comments on to the powers that be.