Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first turning project

Nice first bowl Chris. Looks like you have jumped into the vortex with both feet. You have gotten some good advise on tool use. If you can find a mentor that is great, if not I would recommend viewing some of the DVD's that are available. Check your local library. If you have an AAW chapter near, check it out. Most clubs have a lending library with videos and books. There are also some good websites on line that have texts and instruction. Check out woodturning online, the late Russ Fairfield's site, Neal Addy's site. There are plenty of others as well, I am sure some others will chime in with there favorites.

Way nicer than my 1st! There's some good info here, and I will echo the safety factor as a priority. Live tutoring is extremely beneficial so ask lots of questions. Have fun!
    mj
    Last edited by Michael James; 03-11-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post

3. Finally, is there a good "how to" on the web for making pens? Do I just buy a pen kit and a lathe drill bit holder? After I finish my mini-baseball bat I'm going to make some pens...

Thanks

Attachment 185954

Attachment 185955
    Psi has a free pen turner dvd it helped me on my first pen here is the link to it http://www.pennstateind.com/store/vi...vds-books.html I am new to turning but I have had my lathe for about 3 years just no time or money to use it

[QUOTE=Do the carbide roughing tools work well? I have my eye on the ci1 easy wood tools rougher.[/QUOTE]

I have the Ci1 David J. Marks Pro Series (has a longer handle) and the Ci0 Easy Finisher. I really like both of these! They are indeed "easy" to use and give great results.