Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will rubbing out with rottenstone give a GLOSS finish?

1. Micromesh and MO on a curved surface?

If I wanted to use Micromesh and MO on a cane handle (nothing but curves) to get a glossy finish on Behlens Rock Hard, can I do it by hand? Nothing I know of would be small/flex enough to fit the curves.

Thanks!

MicroMesh is very flexible. I would say it's very possible; unless you have a lot of carvings, checkering or fluting.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

3. Curvy Canes

Thanks Scott, theyre all smooth, I just wasn't sure if doing it by hand would give me the same results as a ROS. (I'm just learning all this!)

Thanks!

ROS tend to follow the grain of the wood causing undulations (sp?) They don't work very well on large FLAT surfaces. A flat sanding block works better.

Some of the MicroMesh kits have a nice little dense foam sanding pad; that may be your best bet.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Micromesh is wonderful stuff. Turners use it all the time. I have some I bought over 5 years ago and it still works great. The only time I have run into problems using it was when I was dry sanding something on the lathe and I had the lathe going too fast. The heat damaged the piece I was using. If you wet sand, when you get done, I'd highly recommend washing the micromesh with soap and water and then let them dry. I do this and just hang it off the steps of a step ladder I have in my shop. A few days later, I put them back in the box where I store them. Washing them prevents transfer of dust, oil etc to your next project.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....