Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It has been too long!!

It has been too long!!

I have been absent from posting for quite some time. I have been looking and enjoying all the wonderful work, but just haven't been up to talking.

I lost my dad at the end of January very suddenly (at the age of 57), and just couldn't bring myself to go into the shop. My dad was a cabinet maker by trade and taught me so many things. Some of my greatest memories are from spending time with him in the shop. I finally got out to the shop a few weeks ago to turn a few things. Turning was one thing he never got into, but always enjoyed what I could do on the lathe. This inspires me to continue to learn and improve my skill.

The first thing I truned was a new salt shaker for my wife. She broke her ceramic one and I told her not to buy a new one. I still had some of the Maple firewood from the neighbor that I made her peppermill from. So, I turned her a salt shaker to match the shape of the peppermill. I finished the shaker by sanding with 600 wet dry and Danish Oil. I then used 10 coats of wipe-on poly and beall buffed it. I forgot to take a picture of the bottom, but I used a top off a plastic bottle instead of a rubber bung like I did on a previous shaker.

The second thing I turned was a few bottle stoppers for a coworker. He asked me to turn him a couple of pairs to use a groomsmen gifts. I turned the light ones from red gum and the darker ones from Purpleheart. I attempted to fume the purpleheart with muriatic acid to get more of a cranberry color, but I was not satisfied with the results. I will have to continue to experiment with this process.

Keith,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad that you have gotten back to the shop. It is definetly hard at first, but now I think its the place where I feel my dads hand on my shoulder.

The salt shaker looks great and is a nice match. The stoppers are very nice. My experience with purple heart is that it will get back to purple in short order. I had several boxes around here for over 5 years that stayed nice and purple.

Keith---I'm sorry for the loss of your dad. Working with wood is one thing that you will always connect you with him. You did a fine job on the salt shaker and stoppers, good that you are once again getting back to the shop. My thoughts are with you.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Keith, your Dad was very young, and that makes this even more difficult for you. It is hard, but soon, the good memories will begin to overcome the grief. I wish you the best.

Great work on both of your projects. Nice match with the shaker, but I most like the bottle stoppers - excellent matchup on styles and those will make perfect gifts for your co-worker's wedding. Glad you are back in the shop.

Keith, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. Very difficult. You did a great job on these pieces, I really like all your pieces here. And, the difficulty to get back into the is very well understood, but what a great way to honor and remember your dad...and with your pieces here, you did that well!

I am very sorry for your loss Keith. You did a very nice job on the salt shaker I am sure your wife loves it.

Keith glad to see you back. I have always enjoyed looking at your work and these are certainly no exception.

So sorry for the loss of your Dad and so young too. Lost my father about 10 years ago and like John K said the grief will fade and the good memories will always be there. I too often feel like I'm closest to him when I'm in the shop.

John

I'm glad you made it back in the shop. A little bit of your dad will be in everything you turn now! What a great feeling to know that people receiving your pieces will also have a piece of your family history! Well done pieces too!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Keith...sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. Nice turnings.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Keith, I understand your pain about losing your dad so young. My dad passed away suddenly when I was 25. He had just turned 60. While it can be heartbreaking, the memories will always be there. As far as the turnings go, they turned out very well....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Sorry to here about your Dad, but I'm sure he would want to see you get back in the shop and continue turning. Very nice shakers by the way, love the wood, and the simplistic design of the salt shaker looks really good.

Keith - Welcome back!

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad and I hope that getting back to turning helps you through the rough times. Thoughts and prayers sent!

Nice work on everything! I am sure the bottle stoppers will be appreciated!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Keith;

i know exactly how you feel as i lost my Dad 2 years ago Valentine's day (feels like yesterday) my thoughts and prayers are with you
    hang in there

Thank you all for such kind words. It has been great to get back in the shop and to think of him there with me while I work. It also reminds me how much I love that my 2 boys love to spend time in the shop with me! Though I might not get much done on my projects, I know that I am passing on a legacy to them as I teach them to work with their hands and so many other skills I learned in the shop.

I have a few more laminated peppermills and salt shakers I am working on as well as finishing up my vacuum chuck. I recently got a nice haul of 60 year old monkey puzzle and 90 year old dogwood. I will add a new thread soon with pics.

Now back to helping the inlaws pack and move to their new house!

Keith sorry to hear about your loss. Glad to see ya back in the shop. Dad will be watching you for sure. Time with your kids is precious so enjoy every last minute. Great looking salt shaker and bottle stoppers. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.