Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive Wall Hanging/Plaque WIP

Olive Wall Hanging/Plaque WIP

Once a year I am a camp counselor at a YMCA camp in Big Bear California. In the mess hall there are around a hundred or so wooden plaques that represent each different ymca, what year they made the plaque, where they are from, and usually some sort of phrase.

Our YMCA, torrance, has yet to make one even though our group has been going there for over 30 years. So I decided to take it upon myself to finally make one. This is my WIP. You'll notice there are 3 flat spots where I'll write. The outer most circle will most likely say "Together for a week, close for a lifetime"
    The middle will say Torrance YMCA
    and the smallest will say 2011.

This piece of olive is nearly all burl and has some nice curl to it. It is the biggest and best piece of olive I have from my harvest last year, I have been saving it for something special and I decided this was it. It is 18" in diameter. I still have a lot of finishing and burning to do on it. I'll repost when i finish.

enjoy

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

That is going to be real nice. Wonderful idea, and gift.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

That is a beautiful piece of wood! And I like the platter you are making very much, that is going to look awesome when finished!

Blog Entries
    That is great... and a good story to go along with it. Gives us small lathe turners some ideas when we get a 'flat' piece of wood that fits. Wall hangings... just a bit smaller.

Thanks for sharing.
    Have a Nice Day!

Bet it will be the only one of it's kind on that wall. Looking good so far.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Great idea! Beautiful wood and the turning looks great! Looking forward to seeing it when complete!

Alex, I love what you are doing with this piece! Really well done, and the purpose of the platter is worthy of this piece of olive burl. If you still have it on the lathe, it might be neat to consider some sort of inset in the center - either another contrasting species of wood, or, if the Torrance chapter has an insignia or even the YMCA insignia - either would be neat.

Great job!!!

Alex - looking really good so far! Great story - make sure you sign the back of it before hanging it as I am sure this piece will be there for many years and folks will want to know who turned it! Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing it once completed!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really a nice looking piece. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You have done this lovely piece of burl good with the design and finish of the platter. It seems a shame on some level to burn text into its face but considering the intent, it will no doubt be a hit.

Very, Very, Nice! It is just about perfect as it is. I would wouldn't want you to put writing on it if it was to be mine. Art speaks for it's self.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Wonderful Alex. Thanks for posting the WIP pics. That is a great piece of wood, can't wait to see the finished piece.

Fantastic! This is really going to be a standout on the wall I'm sure. Are you going to have the writing done with a laser? I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Alex
    Can't wait to see it finished,That's going to be beautiful. Really nice work.

It might have taken 30 years to get a plague up there but I'll bet it's going to be the coolest one there. What a great piece of wood and a great idea for the plaque.