Thread: Roof Over Deck

Roof Over Deck

I have built a roof over my deck, shed style. The roof pitch is 1.5 in 12. My wife mentioned today that she wants to hang outdoor blinds on the sides to keep out wind driven rain. The roof is slanted so the is not possible currently. What can I do on the sides to accommodate this (aside from hanging variable length chains)? How can I work this in to the current roof? Pic attached.

just curious--how did you attach the ledger board to the brick? and what's the dimension of the beam carrying the rafters?

Why don't you fill in the sides to give a level area for the bilnds.

My rough drawing show a lattice, but it could be about anything you want.

fillin.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by geoff wood View Post
    just curious--how did you attach the ledger board to the brick? and what's the dimension of the beam carrying the rafters?
    We were not allowed to. If we attached to the house it would go too far into the setback. So it is permitted as a "freestanding gazebo". It is about 2 inches off the house. The beam carring the rafters in the back is a sistered 2x6. It is finished on the inside with beadboard, and recessed lighting.
    Last edited by Bob Haskett; 03-12-2011 at 6:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    Why don't you fill in the sides to give a level area for the bilnds.

My rough drawing show a lattice, but it could be about anything you want.

fillin.JPG
    We thought about that, but went to start doing it with a siding grade plywood (GP Branded Siding) and did not like how lowered the whole structure.

However, doing it with lattice may keep that open feel. That is an option.

Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haskett View Post
    We were not allowed to. If we attached to the house it would go too far into the setback. So it is permitted as a "freestanding gazebo". It is about 2 inches off the house. The beam carring the rafters in the back is a sistered 2x6. It is finished on the inside with beadboard, and recessed lighting.
    Very clever...and with that nice overhang on the house, it worked out perfectly, too. Nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...