Thread: Harbor Freight Puzzle

Harbor Freight Puzzle

Yeah, I know, HF...Boo, Hiss!
    Anyway, I bought a cheapo recip saw for a particularly nasty job that I didn't want to insult my Sawzall with. The darned thing came with a spare set of brushes, and a 90 day warranty Anyone ever wear out a set of brushes in 90 days?
    Mick

No boo, no hiss . For many things from old HF, I have much love. Spare brushes, great! You're better off having them than having to order a set from from HF. Then again, maybe they know something we don't....

Quote Originally Posted by mickey cassiba View Post
    Yeah, I know, HF...Boo, Hiss!
    Anyway, I bought a cheapo recip saw for a particularly nasty job that I didn't want to insult my Sawzall with. The darned thing came with a spare set of brushes, and a 90 day warranty Anyone ever wear out a set of brushes in 90 days?
    Heck, I've rode mine HARD 'n put it up wet as the saying goes for over 4 years and it hasn't slowed down a bit, much less worn out a set of brushes yet. Like you, I got it for a rough one time project figuring it would be a throw away after that, but then discovered it was excellent with a good blade to trim and cut up tree limbs, (some 6" dia) and it worked so well I bought one for my daughters And a spare for myself when they were on sale. Much to my surprise, my spare is still in the box unopened. Sometimes you really do find a Gem among rubble.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

I too have gotten a few surprises from HF, but never an electric tool. I've got a few pneumatic tools that have outlasted higher priced "name brand" tools. I was just surprised to find the spare brushes...I have never purchased a tool that came with spares. Sorry for any implied "brand bigotry". I hope I have the same experience as Norman. BTW my HF turning tools have provided a cheap platform for learning to sharpen and turn, and the Pittsburgh wrenches I own have had an unexpected benefit...they don't seem to grow legs as fast as my snap-ons.
    Mick

Most every electric HF I have, spare brushes came with them.
    Haven't had to replace any of them yet.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I worked in retail and we could never keep a Milwaukee saw around so we got a Harbor Freight. Yes, it's junk compared to name brand but worked well for what we needed. I paid $125 for a name brand saw many years ago. I just don't use it much. The HF would have served my needs and saved $100.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I just came in from using mine to whack off frost damage to shrubbery too thick for lopping shears. I got it mainly for pruning off palm fronds -which it does wonderfully- but have used it for other branches up to 6 inches in diam.
    The only quirk is that it quits now and again. Give it a couple minutes rest and off it goes again.
    I don't recall seeing any brushes in the box but at it's price I'll abuse it and get another when it dies.