Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention to detail or the lack of....

Attention to detail or the lack of....

I sharpened the blades in my planer today.... and don't cha know I can't remember which way the bevel goes. I have it set up with the bevel towards the out-feed.
    I thought this would be Murphy proof, even made a mental note to not install them backwards. Lotta good that did. BTW the planer is a RC-33/22-580 Delta/Rockwell.

Thanks for the help

I'm thinking that the bevel should follow the direction of rotation...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

David, you are 1 for 2. Your blade orientation is correct. The flat side of the knife faces the direction of rotation and is in contact with the gib that holds it in place.

If your 13" Delta is indeed a 22-580, it is a "lunchbox" type machine. The Delta RC-33 (22-650 to 655) was a cast iron Invicta machine of the 1980s. (the original 4-post planer) The two planers would never be confused, side by side!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks you Chip and Keith. LOL its a 22-650. I just sold the 22-580. I'll be selling this one soon when I get my 20 inch Grizzly @ the end of the month.

Well - that's the bevel-up style. There's the bevel down also.

joke.....................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Question Still confused a bit

Actually I'm 0-2. Tried the planer this morning and it doesn't work well. I consulted the woodmaster manual I have and it show direction of rotation and states that the bevel should be facing the the jack screws. This would orient the bevel side (sharpened face) of the blade toward the operator from the top. Which is exactly opposite of the way it's installed. In other words the long side of the blade goes against the gib??
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 03-13-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    .... In other words the long side of the blade goes against the gib??
    Yes - exactly. When you look down at the top of the installed blade, you should be looking at the beveled edge - pointing toward the outfeed side of hte planer. The longest face/side of the blade goes against the gib.

Think about it this way - lay on the floor [don't actually do this] and look up at the blade as it contacts the wood. The blade is oriented against the wood exactly like a bevel-down bench plane's blade would be. The beveled side of the blade is slicing the fibers, and the gib acts like the cap iron on the hand plane - the analogy is a bit lame, but you get the idea.

I replaced my planer blades yesterday [plus clean/oil/lube the guts], and am heading over to replace all covers/dust chutes/etc. I took off - so I just happen to be looking at exactly the same thing you are.

Future reference: I aways replace one blade at a time, figuring this helps keep the stresses in the cutterhead all copacetic. I don't know if this has any basis in what they call "science", but that's how I go about it. I also use a Sharpie to put one red mark on the first blade, two on the second....just to keep track of where the heck I am.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Terms are hard to describe without diagrams and a glossary. I got what you mean. Thanks. I do have a extra set of blades Don't know why I chose the route that went, but I did.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 03-13-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Terms are hard to describe without diagrams and a glossary. I got what you mean. Thanks. I do have a extra set of blades Don't know what I chose the route that went but I did.
    I have a Ridgid and this is the way my blades are set.

Drawing1.jpg

Wait a minute - I'm stupid - don't lay on the floor looking up - stand over it and look down.

I got no idea what I was thinking.

Sketch coming in a few................

No surprise - Bill H is smarter and quicker than me.

Here's my version of his correct answer

Planer Cutterhead.pdf

Sorry for my earlier confustion - Ima gonna go and put the planer back together, I hope, then adjust tables and change blades on the jointer, I hope.

Then root for the Nittany Lions to spank the Buckeyes [since PSU wailed on my Spartans last nite]
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 03-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Exactly Bill. Diagrams are such a good reference. Obviously this is my first attempt and might be my last. Its a bigger pain in the butt than what I thought it was going to be. Dang gone springs just don't wanna stay out of the way of the Gib. Bent all the ones I have taken apart from yesterday. Replaced with hardware store equivalents. Spring tension is a bit more, but the diameter and length are on the money. I'm starting to loose confidence in the delta jig, just doesn't seem to fit just quite right. Anyway back to it after this coffee.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 03-13-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Don't have a comparable model - mine is the 15" that has set screw adjustments for blade height. Your problem w/springs is vaguely familiar - my first jointer was a Delta 6" - think they had the same thing; that one was donated to local high school at age = 6 mos, and I upgraded.

Regardless, a loooooong time ago, I got this pair for my planer. Works great, IMO. The price is a bit of a choke/cough, but no way around that. Accurate and saves me a lot of frustration:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W121.../dp/B0000DD2OU

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Don't have a comparable model - mine is the 15" that has set screw adjustments for blade height. Your problem w/springs is vaguely familiar - my first jointer was a Delta 6" - think they had the same thing; that one was donated to local high school at age = 6 mos, and I upgraded.

Regardless, a loooooong time ago, I got this pair for my planer. Works great, IMO. The price is a bit of a choke/cough, but no way around that. Accurate and saves me a lot of frustration:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W121.../dp/B0000DD2OU

I have seen those, matter of fact quite few have been sold here. From what I have heard its a hard if not impossible fir for my planer due to over head motor. Mind doing me a favor? Can you take a few dimensional measurements, height and width. I don't wanna buy something and have to tap dance to return it, or better yet remove the motor and belts to change blades.

Hey ya'll

Everything went back together after fighting with them springs. I can't believe the difference, the blades must have been dull when I got it. Milled a a pine 2X4 as a test piece. It came out so smooth I thought it was being burnished. No noise from the blades other than the normal, so I took a screwdriver and banged the crap out of the wood. Man it came out as smooth as a hand plane. Amazing! Thanks for help really I appreciate being able to ask a stupid question and get a real answer!
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 03-13-2011 at 2:17 PM.