Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention to detail or the lack of....

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    I have seen those, matter of fact quite few have been sold here. From what I have heard its a hard if not impossible fir for my planer due to over head motor. Mind doing me a favor? Can you take a few dimensional measurements, height and width. I don't wanna buy something and have to tap dance to return it, or better yet remove the motor and belts to change blades.
    2-1/2" deep [this is the "spread" that sits on the cutterhead]
    3-7/16" long [this is the length dimension that runs coaxial with the cutterhead]
    1-5/8" tall [to top of the arch, with the "feet" on a flat table. Will be a tad less when the curvature of the cutterhead comes into play]

On my Delta DC-380,the critical dimension turned out to be the 2-1/2" depth. I have to loosen the fittings holding the chipbreaker in place, rotate it out of the way as much as I can, and then these......just.....barely.....fit........ between the lifted-up-edge of the chipbreaker and the cast frame at the back. Would be no problem if I removed the chipbreaker, which I could certainly do, but a PITA.

Length mox nix. The height is NBD for motor clearance on my planer - no experience with your model.

Alert: My planer pal is 12+ yrs old, model W1216. I see on-line that the comparable is now model W1216A- don't know what, if anything, changed with the "A" version.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'm a complete retard doing this stuff sometimes. I've gotten into the habit of taking a quick picture with my phone if I think there will be any question as to how anything goes back together.

Our planers are very simular. I think I will have the same problem. I'll see if I can figure out the difference between the 2 jigs. If nothing else someone may find it useful. Thanks!

I hear ya. In this case I didn't think to much about it cause I really didn't expect to be able to install them backwards. Top it all off there was absolutely no tool, wear or stains that would give you a clue. Lesson learned.