Thread: Seeking more help

Seeking more help

Same questions as before.

What would be your suggestions for how to best cut this? I have no idea what kind of wood that it is, the size is 14 x 13 x 8. Vase, bowl, dish, HF, box or what have you. Assuming that it is solid and usable, should it be left to dry somewhat or turn green, it was recently cut. Thanks for any suggestions that you may have. Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep that's a tough one. Whether to cut it up into several burl blanks for go for the gusto. As for cutting it, cut just above and below the burl. You should get an indication in the grain patterns how far the burl invades the trunk. Then slice the trunk side off in slices to maximize burl preservation. If you can improve upon the beauty of burl wood then go for it. Sometimes all that is needed is a simple bowl with great form. My suggestion is to find a friend with a coring tool and core out a few bowls. You might have to repay your friend with one. If you plan to cut blanks just plan it out before you cut.

I'd do what Chip suggested then turn it green. The coring tool is a great option if you have access and want to make bowls.

It appears the inside has some decay. I agree with Chip in seeing what you have first as that may change the game plan. If it is decayed from the inside (and many burls are), then you may have to consider other options.

I know this may come as a surprise - but I would turn a hollow form and take advantage of any voids or bark areas that may be sitting just inside! I would turn it green just because it is much easier turning and also, if the wood turns out to be bad, you'll be glad you didn't wait?

Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!