Thread: Robot Arm

Robot Arm

I spent the last few weekends on and off designing and building this robot arm. It's cut from 1/8 inch tempered hardboard (great stuff) and hobby servos. Alot of measuring and redos later and it's almost finished. The wiring still has to be cleaned up and the base needs a re-design but it works.

RobotArm2.jpg
    A netbook runs a servo sequencing program and commands a servo controller. Right now it just plays back recorded moves, but with the addition of a camera and imaging software it will be able to recognize, track and manipulate objects within it's reach.
    Here's a video of it in action. Just the thing for moving tape from one place to another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTttgWxoItw

Dave
    Epilog Profile 25 watt w/rotary, Homemade CNC, Vinyl Cutter, VCarve 4, Corel X3, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Dave,

That is sooooooo cool. Keep us posted.

Larry
    GWeike LC6090 130 Watt 24" x 36" Table
    Shopbot 96 x 48
    Kossel Clear 3D Printer

Let me know when you get it to load/unload the laser and watch for fires =)
    ULS M-300 30W, CorelDraw X4

Dave, that's really a neat project. Are you going to make the plans available in any way? How much would the motors and required electronics cost?

Excellent project.

Paul.

Once the design is the way I want I may post the files. The total cost for servos and controller was about $140.00 - $150.00. Hardboard was less than $5 for a 2X4 sheet. For the next version I may just buy metal servo brackets for most of the arm. They come with bearings and they're alot lighter too.
    Epilog Profile 25 watt w/rotary, Homemade CNC, Vinyl Cutter, VCarve 4, Corel X3, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

When I worked at the San Diego Sony CRT Plant in the mid 90's we had a few Fanuc Robots to pick and place CRT's. In my area we had 2 Fanuc Welding Robots that just dipped a 4 inch paint roller in to a rolling metal drum of liquid carbon. It then painted 3 sides of a CRT to make the CRT a Capacitor with the inside carbon.

This Robot would have done the job of the multi Thousand dollar robot... Well Done !!!!!

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Oooo Be careful.. Did you see that episode of The Big Bang Theory where Wolowitz built a robot arm?
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

that thing is totally awesome. I always wished I had my own robot arm. Can you elaborate more on the software used to control the Servo's?
    Trotec Speedy 30W (firing at about 34W) 29"x17"
    CNC machinist using Mastercam for Mills and Lathes
    Mechanical Engineer using Solidworks and Pro Engineer Wildfire
    Aquariumist Extrodinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Ludwick View Post
    that thing is totally awesome. I always wished I had my own robot arm. Can you elaborate more on the software used to control the Servo's?
    The sequencing software came with the servo controller. It's a Pololu Mini-Maestro Servo Controller available from Pololu dot com.

Dave