So I partitioned off a little more than 1/4 of our two car garage for a laundry room. The rest is my shop. Originally the only thing in the space that is now the laundry room was a 40 gallon gas water heater.

One tankless gas heater and stacked washer/dryer later and there is still room for a cabinet or two and a utility sink. Nice.

When I partitioned off the spaces I put up two separate 2x4 walls with a 1/2" between them. Studs were offset from each wall, blah blah blah....

Hindsight, I would have gone with a 2x8 sole plate and staggered the studs. Quicker, easier and likely close enough to just as effective as two separate walls. Just my opinion.

The one spot that I could never figure out was the passage door. I roughed it in but always figured I would install a swinging door. Just could decide which way I wanted it to swing. Space is tight and the path of the door was going to create compromise.

Then one night a while back a thought struck me; pocket door. That 36" solid core door I saved from the dumpster would be perfect and I would lose maybe two more inches on the shop side.

Well, I had to relocate some outlets and the light switches. But now that all the framing and electrical is done, the door hung, I am happier than I would have expected. I even installed a 8' x 16" shelf so I can get some thing out of the way now.

While I was at it I put an outlet in the ceiling near my air cleaner and put that outlet on a switch. No more extension cord. Flick of the switch right by the door. It's a work in progress but the shop is finally starting to shape up.