Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Knight Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Lots of gooe reviews on Steve's planes here. Strange though, if he is not doing kits, as that seems to be all his site shows. Maybe he has built up a strong word of mouth business.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Turner View Post
    ...he does not sell many kits anymore...
    It's an issue of volume, or lack thereof. His primary business these days is CNC routing, the orders for plane kits just filter in, based on our conversations when I went to his shop a couple years ago. To generate more plane kit business, he figured he would have to advertise, go to woodworking shows, etc. I think he is pretty busy with the CNC business, so can't really invest the time and effort into pushing the handplane business.

Blog Entries
    I thought Steve's kits were CNC routed? So maybe when he isn't doing CNC for other companies he routes molds for planes?

Blog Entries
    I have a Knight Smoother, High Angle Smoother, and a 24" Jointer. They were purchased in 2000 and 2001. They are excellent planes. They were not kit planes.

Blog Entries
    I thought you guys might enjoy this string.

Blog Entries
    I just saw one of my three Knight hand planes in a bookcase in my office. I've kept them there because I didn't want them in the Galveston County moist atmosphere. I took it to the shop and made a few passes on piece of maple. Wow, translucent shavings leaving a really slick
    shiny surface.

I haven't been doing much in the shop since Hurricane Harvey came through.

For those of you not familiar with his planes, it is made with a purple heart body and iirc sapele sole. The iron is 2"x4"x1/2" super sharp steel. The plane is 24" long x 2 1/2" wide. I also have a standard angle block plane and a high angle block plane.

You guys really need to check his planes out. They are a pleasure to use. They do not have any issues that I know of.
    You will have a choice of wood used in the body.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-24-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Blog Entries
    The iron is 2"x4"x1/1/2" super sharp steel.
    With an iron that thick it shouldn't chatter!

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    You guys really need to check his planes out. They are a pleasure to use. They do not have any issues that I know of.
    You will have a choice of wood used in the body.
    Didn’t Steve close the doors on his plane making business a few years ago?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I did not know that. I think there may still be a web site. I'm sure glad I have his planes.
    There is some online chatter about him not making planes now. That is a disappointment.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-24-2018 at 6:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Steve closed down his plane making business and last I heard he was doing CNC routing. I believe Steve sold me most of his remaining stock of blades, wedges, adjustable mouth stock....Most of the blades I got were short. He also routed bodies for three planes and a couple handles for me from Purple Heart. I think he shut down his web site years ago.

I assume that since he sold me most of his remaining plane parts that I was his last plane client. I would post pictures, but those planes are at the place I am trying to get moved to and I sadly am not.

Hey you guys talking about me??? A lot of reasons why I stopped part of it is iron heat treating was a problem Plus sales were dropping off and the cnc took too much focus to do both at once. planes took all my time and all I could do was make them. Plus I am not a detail type person so it was always a struggle to do such a detail work. Plus I should have stopped trying to change the lanes I think that was part of the problem. the cnc did not really save any time. maybe now I could make it work better but who knows? I am not a salesman and that was a problem too I never went out and sold my tools did tours and shows and such. Now I pretty much only cut parts and such for others so no selling I make a few things start to finish but still it is not me selling it.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Steve,

Thanks for your honesty and candid answer. I think it really is critical to "Know thyself"... Especially in your business....

I know for myself - I have thought about trying to make the jump a few times making guitars.... But every time - I run into the same problem..... "Jobifying your passion" often drains all of the fun and enjoyment out of it because you have to spend a huge amount of time and effort doing stuff you hate.... For me - that's making sure guitar finishes are spotless.... And I don't do well at it....

Better to stick to my day job and let my hobby stay my hobby.....

hi Steve, It's good to see you posting. I'm still using the 50 degree smoother you made for me.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I need to put a sign on my shop door. "This is your hobby! Only enter for enjoyment!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    hi Steve, It's good to see you posting. I'm still using the 50 degree smoother you made for me.

Blog Entries
    Hi Steve good to hear from you,

I made the three planes from the parts you sold me. I also bought a couple of your planes from a SMC member who I understand you made them for, Tom Vanzant. I think they were made from Bloodwood or Cocobolo.

I do miss the planes and I think if I stuck with the simpler block design it would have been better Plus a higher price I was too low. I have always had problems with getting board with things and I bet I have some adult ADD and I always need new things to keep my brain going. all I have left is one plane that for some reason is sitting around and my stamps.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing