Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: 1942 MOAK 32" "Special" Band saw restoration

Love the tilt wheel, I assume you plan to remove it for blade changes?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The adjustment wheel comes off to change the blade, as pictured ......I had a comment on another forum about this, 45 min to change the blade, lots of negative comments lately........?

It has been at an all time high over at the mothership.....

My plexi idea is getting bashed, the base is going to crack because of my design, lots of criticism to deal with lately....

I can deal with criticism pretty well, but lately, it's just been piling on...........

The time i spend loading pics and showing what I did takes some time, and the reason I do this is so some other person can use the information and pics if he or she needs to see how a particular area goes together, or how to fabricate a certain piece. ....to be helpful in aiding for a restoration on a MOAK band saw......

That's all,....

The Internet is a strange place ,with some strange feedback sometimes.......LOL

B,

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The internet is indeed a strange place, we have become a society of critics. Read the article responses of most any blog and they are about 8-1 negative, regardless of the subject matter. The old adage “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” has gone by the wayside.
    Hang in there; don’t let the naysayers get to you.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Bruce,,
    I can understand having different opinions, it's expected,... but the negativity is what gets me......

its OK , it rolls right off my back Bruce but its just the amount of it ....well....

B,

Brain
    Great looking saw, and you have done a out standing job on this rebuild. 1+ what Bruce said. Keep up the good work. Tom

Brian, I am actually sorry I mentioned it since I had no idea, I do think you know I wasn't being negative just thinking your choices through in my mind. It isn't their saw and it isn't their shop and it is obvious you aren't trying to start a museum. One modifies equipment to make it better/safer or just to fit their own needs, I like what you have done even though it wouldn't look the same in my shop but then I would probably garner more ire from the purists! You are doing a great job and I have really enjoyed your thread!!! Don't let the "father-less" grind you down!!!

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Brian - One of the many problems posting in a forum, either starting a thread, or responding to one, there is absolutely no way to read the individual's facial or body expressions. Thereforre we don't quite understand how to take what somebody has said. I know I am probably guilty of not choosing my words carefully. One of the other problems is I think people have forgotten the difference between constructive criticism and just plain criticism. I have found your thread to be very interesting. I think you have done a marvelous job. Not only will you have something that will work very well for you but you will have something to be proud of. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Well,.....
    been busy, to say the least......
    I was going over everything that I have "Re- vamped" to the Moak 32" special and the list is quite extensive.

the upper guard enclosure - fabricated
    the upper guard closure mechanism- fabricated
    the lower guard enclosure - fabricated
    the lower guard closure mechanism-fabricated
    the lower guide dust assembly/plate design and enclosure- fabricated
    the upper guide guard assembly is all fabricated
    the rear blade guard between the upper and lower wheel guards - fabricated
    the electrical enclosure - fabricated
    the control unit (speed control and on/off ) - fabricated
    the upper guard enclosure lighting system full 34" radius- fabricated
    the bottom guard table light (1/4 radius of 32> 1-13/16"w x 29-1/8"L) - fabricated
    the lower guard enclosure lighting system full 28" radius-fabricated
    the carriage for the Dolley - fabricated
    the table tilt handle all fabricated

I have not yet dived into the pregnant folder named MOAK to get the final tally .....kind of frightened to look........ , but I will have them! it is what it is......

Since getting back on her,Ive been constantly thinking in bed at night , now how can I improve this without affecting that, what controls do i want access to on V7 control terminal.... hows the upper guide guard going to work out.....how can i remove dust efficiently and affectively in the lower guide chamber....and on and on and on.........there really is a lot to consider...when fabricating,....but I love it!!!!!! LOL .....must be the German in me..... EX: The upper guard plate was another area I didn't like, not user friendly and not very good coverage as far as protection. If you raised the upper guard assembly 2" off the table & up to 13" you could not open the door because it was blocking the door and you may forget and then smack the backside if you wanted to change the blade. ...so what I have devised is a LOT more beefy and does not impede the door from being opened... no mater how far up you raise the upper guide...all the way to 13" and you still have access to opening the upper guard chamber.

Everything as far as odd and ends as far as fabrication have been completed...just detailing details - if that makes any sense,,,,(puzzled emoticon)...and I have to finish the brushes for the lower wheel, although.... I don't really think I need them because of the lower guide design and all that was involved with that. I hooked up the DC , ran some stumpy logs through her and there was no dust on the wheel ( the rubber) and just a few specs in the lower guard housing, and i mean specs.. ....pictures to fallow. but just as a precaution I am putting them on anyways there was a lot of thinking that went into that lower guide housing and mechanics...... lots....and a few headaches...LOL , but I am very pleased with the set up and how everything came out, it was well worth all the effort I put into it and ill be doing it again........NEXT!/........

I will have some final end result pictures of the Moak 32" "special" when I purchase some white sheets for a background...want to have some nice clean pictures....and nothing in the back... Ill be able to reuse them for the 20C, the 117D, the 88D, and the American 16" J.... and no more fabricating......THANK GOD!!!!!!! I need a break!!!!!

The display is showing RPMS of the motor drive... set at max 600

more to come....

B,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 05-09-2012 at 8:28 PM.

Brian,

This build has been fantastic. It is like watching the progress on a classic car build at a high end shop. I cannot believe the ideas, and improvements you have made to the old lady. I can hardly wait to see the final pics. Jay Leno will probably be calling you to offer a job.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

Rick Potter

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I like Rick's analogy to watching a classic car being rebuilt by a pro. It has been fun to watch!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very clean VFD install. As always thanks!

This thread is so cool!!!

Maybe I missed it, but have you used the saw yet? If so, how does it cut?

Well,
    here is a sneak peak on the upgrades, but not the final pics....

These are some of the fabrications and modifications that i have done......

Inside of the V7 enclosure
    The lower guide assembly
    The control unit
    The upper guard unit
    The wheel brushes
    The table lighting

B,

More....

B,
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 05-14-2012 at 10:19 AM.

.......few more..

B,
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 05-14-2012 at 10:19 AM.