Thread: Delta table saw (34-400)

Delta table saw (34-400)

Hello...I am a newbie here...sorry for a previous post in the wrong forum

I found this forum while searching for a solution to a problem with my old Delta table saw. From the many posts I've read in this forum...sounds like a lot of knowledge out there on a lot of topics. Hopefully, someone can steer me in the right direction with my problem.

Through a process of elimination, I found my Delta table saw (34-400) has a bad arbor bearing that needs replacing. I was able to remove the arbor and bearing without too much hassle...but when I got online to locate parts I cannot find the correct replacement arbor bearing to fit my saw. I did find on every website offering Delta repair parts a slightly upgraded type of arbor with a flange and two separate bearings. The schematics say "when replacing Arbor Assembly parts for machines with serial numbers lower than DO-8276 (my serial is DI 8950) it is necessary to order the complete Arbor Bracket Assembly part no. 422-03-314-0016". I have tried that part number everywhere and either I get an "obsolete" or "cannot find" message. And, because of the difference I was able to see in the schematic...I must have the "lower" serial number..though I don't quite understand their system of numbering.

The bearings on my old arbor are evidently pressed on and are numbered mrc 5200zz...a double rolled bearing (?) My bearing suppliers have the same bearing but they are not the same width as the bearings I need. Can I put two of the bearings side by side (with a small spacing) and try to press them into the cast iron bearing assembly?

Thanks in advance for any help...looking forward to visiting this site often.

tom

This thread was found in another forum and moved here. Hope someone can help Tom out!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I had one of those saws for almost 20 years. I made a lot of furniture with it, and it was a pretty good saw.
    It has one major design flaw: the original arbor bearings are a water-pump type bearing, where the shaft and bearings are an integral unit.
    I ended up replacing the whole arbor assembly shortly after I got it. The original bearing needed replacing. The guy I got it from had been a machinist, and had gotten a water-pump type bearing from a bearing supplier to replace it. However, before he tried to machine the bearing,he tried boring out the original arbor housing for standard bearings. He succeeded, but in the process of pressing the bearings in, he cracked the arbor assembly. I ended up buying the replacement arbor assembly from Delta. I think it cost $275 back then. I have no idea what it costs now.
    It's a pretty good saw, in spite of it's design flaw on the bearings.
    For more information on this saw and bearing replacment, do a search on the Old Woodworking Machines forum- http://owwm.org
    Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your reply...this saw has made my gray hair turn an even lighter shade..that is for sure. I inherited my saw from my father-in-law and , like you , I have made a lot of furniture with it. This saw has been a pleasure to work with.

I was beginning to think that no one else had the type of arbor housing I was trying to describe. I will look again on the OWWM website for more info....I wouldn't mind replacing the bearing with original bearings in lieu of buying a newer type arbor housing..... IF I can find one. (Even the newer/replacement arbor housing seems to be obsolete)

Are you saying the water pump type bearing would have worked with the original arbor housing?...maybe that would be worth looking in to?

tom

Call Delta - 1-800-223-7278
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Tom,
    I think you have limited options if you need to replace the arbor bearing.
    1. You can try to find a water pump bearing that will work. It would also need to be machined: a shoulder cut and a flange pressed on and trued, the end of the shaft turned down and threaded for an arbor nut, and a keyway cut for the pulley.I have no idea how much that might cost.
    2.Find the replacement arbor bracket that takes common bearings. Possible sources are ebay, OWWM.org,Plaza Machinery, or one of the many online Delta parts dealers.
    3.Ask a machinist about the advisibility of boring out the existing bracket for common bearings.That's what my friend did.Unfortunately, he cracked the bracket when installing one of the bearings. (The other one went in fine.)
    I think the saw is definitely worth repairing.It's a good saw, and is better than the regular contractor's saws.
    Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well in your search for parts!
    Rick

Thanks Hank. I will try to call Delta today.

tom

I think today I will call Delta (and/or other online sources) to try and find the replacement arbor...just seems to be the most direct solution. I intend to keep this saw and I still think it is worth the effort to solve this arbor bearing issue.
    Thanks for your encouragement and possible solutions!

tom

New member as well - I just acquired a 34-400 (very nice condition), however it is extremly loud and I started looking to see if it had bearing issues. I read the manual and started down the same path of part numbers, flag notes,etc. Did a search on web and saw you were solving likely the same issue. Did you have success when you contacted Delta regarding 422-03-314-0016 arbor assembly?

thanks

Chip

I did't know that Craftsman wasn't the only company to use water pump bearings in their tools.As a last resort there is something you can try to salvage the old bearing assembly, given that the old bearing is not loud, knocking, or has lots of runout.
    Drill a small hole(just large enough to accept a grease injection needle)(available at Harbor Freight or local auto supply store) into the center of the water bearing. At this point there are 2 paths you can take - 1A. inject solvent into the bearing to flush out the old grease and then - 1B. inject new grease until the bearing can take no more, or - 2.inject grease into the bearing as in 1B, eliminating the flush.
    Note - Attaching a strong magnet to the drill bit will help in keeping metal chips from falling into the bearing, also the bearing is made of fairly hard metal so you may need a carbide drill bit. If oyu decide to try this procedure and can't get the carbide drill bit i"ll be glad to send you one. If you need any clarification on this subject you can give me a call at 631-226-8754
    Peter Leyden