Thread: What do u think about this reciprocating saw??

What do u think about this reciprocating saw??

Hi, there. Was wondering anyone of u have experience with this Craftsman 17175 6 amp Corded Reciprocating Saw with Dual LED Worklights? I wanna buy a nice reciprocating saw, mostly for trim branches. Most of the reviews are unanimously positive. I'm not sure it is really that good. So any thoughts on it?? Any other good options??

6 amps is a little on the small side, but should handle most wood related tasks okay. If you plan to do serious demolition work or cut large planks, get a large Milwaukee Sawzall.

When you say "trim branches," do you mean pruning tree limbs? If so, get a blade designed for wood without nails. Those used in demolition have flat faced teeth so they can cut through metal like nails and pipe. They are harder to find, but those meant just for wood have multiple angles ground into them so that they cut sharp, cleanly and last longer (unless you hit some steel). There are the silver colored Lenox blades at Lowes and Sears has some rebranded Bosch blades under the Craftsman Professional line. Both bog borgs also sell dedicated pruning blades that look just like bow saw blades, but I've never used them.

If all you really want to cut tree limbs, an electric chain saw will do you MUCH better than a sawzall. By the time you figure in the cost of blades, a chain saw will probably work out being cheaper. Sawzalls have a hefty appetite for blades.

I wouldn't buy it, for several reasons:
    1. Any branches that saw can handle can be easily cut with a sharp pruning saw, and you don't have to deal with the cord.
    2. Low end Craftsman tools tend to be poor quality from day 1, but not poor enough to die. Every time you get it out, you'll be dealing with binding and its deficiencies. I've owned one of those "deals", finally trashed it even though it "worked"
    3. If you're going to buy a reciprocating saw, buy one that can do ALL the things that recip saws are good for. That means you need plenty of power and a robust design. There are several good ones out there, but none under $50.

I'll second the eletric chainsaw to cut limbs.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Milwaukee makes a "green" wood pruning blade. Works pretty good on smaller branches.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/s...%29/48-00-1301

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    I wouldn't buy it, for several reasons:
    1. Any branches that saw can handle can be easily cut with a sharp pruning saw, and you don't have to deal with the cord.
    2. Low end Craftsman tools tend to be poor quality from day 1, but not poor enough to die. Every time you get it out, you'll be dealing with binding and its deficiencies. I've owned one of those "deals", finally trashed it even though it "worked"
    3. If you're going to buy a reciprocating saw, buy one that can do ALL the things that recip saws are good for. That means you need plenty of power and a robust design. There are several good ones out there, but none under $50.
    This is good advice and I agree with everything said.
    If you have never experiences a good quality pruning saw, go get yourself one.