Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floats Finally Finished...well al-most

Haven't seen any of the old ones, but I think Larry mentioned to me before that the LN floats have no rake (maybe it was even positive?). I could confirm that later, but so could anyone who has one.

I think you want them (especially the bigger ones where more cutting area will be in use) to be as aggressive as possible. IIRC sharpening the front tooth, it has postive (as in more aggressive) rake.

Nice job Greg

I'm impressed and encouraged to try this myself. Clearly you can't be in a hurry and probably take plenty of breaks to keep things even on the angles and to stay square to the sides or consistent in orientation.

Like David said, I'll probably make a couple of the less time consuming ones. That way I can see how much it takes out of me.

Best wishes and now you get to make a few planes, right?
    Jim

Really nice work, I like the clean lines and soft bevels in the handles.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Haven't seen any of the old ones, but I think Larry mentioned to me before that the LN floats have no rake (maybe it was even positive?). I could confirm that later, but so could anyone who has one.

I think you want them (especially the bigger ones where more cutting area will be in use) to be as aggressive as possible. IIRC sharpening the front tooth, it has postive (as in more aggressive) rake.
    I just had a look at one of my LN floats. From the leading edge of the cutting surface, the teeth slope back slightly towards the handle. Is that what you mean by positive?
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!