Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some work by a newbie to the Creek

Some work by a newbie to the Creek

Since I'm new to Sawmill Creek I thought I'd introduce myself through a few of my pieces, a couple older and a couple newer. I'm a retired ( two years now) art professor who taught jewelry design/metalsmithing for 27 years. I have to say that during the latter part of my career my personal interest in jewelry/metals took a backseat to fine woodworking. I'm the designer and the craftsman for all my work.
    This seems to be a great community and I have seen some terrific work here. I'm excited to be a part of it.

lowboy.jpg
    A lowboy done for Japanese clients back in the 90's. the handles are die-formed copper
    with a dark gray patina so that they resemble smooth river stones.

Beidermier resized.jpg
    This is a chest of drawers done for the same clients. At the time it was the most difficult piece of furniture I had ever attempted. I used cherry, sycamore, aspen, the pulls are steel and brass and the end pieces of the cylinders are enamel(glass) over copper.

Front1.jpg
    These days I am working on a body of work that references the Biedermeier aesthetic. This body of work is all clocks and this one is called Voluptuous Bieder.

P1000096-Edit-copy.jpg
    This one is called Dali Bieder and references the very well known painting by Salvadore Dali titled "The Persistence of Memory" The clock is carved from basswood and the numerals are cut out of sheet brass with a jewelers saw. Each numeral has pins brazed to the back and they were glued into holes drilled on the face slightly proud to reveal a shadow. This was number 17 in the series and took me close to 175 hours (although I don't really keep track of my time)
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-16-2011 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Removed link to personal website

Beautiful work!
    If you wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty. The pig loves it!

Blog Entries
    I suppose you go to the head of the class.
    You not only can do the woodwork, you have remarkable talent for design.

Very whimsical! I wish that I had the talent to not only design things like what you have shared, but the ability to execute them. Well done.
    Michael Mastin
    McKinney Hardwood Lumber
    Exotic and figured woods

Terrific designs and execution, Dennis. What is your coloring method?

Really love your work....true art....!!!

Blog Entries
    Nice work! You should be justifiably proud. Enjoy your retirement.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Welcome Dennis, you have a great combination of talents, design and execution. Very nice work.

Beautiful work!

You know, it wasn't that long ago that a piece like the Voluptuous Bieder wouldn't be allowed in public in some communities. You know, those soft, supple curves...

10. Amazing work! I'll second the question about your coloring method?

WOW, what else can I say? I do admire artists like you.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Will Boulware View Post
    Amazing work! I'll second the question about your coloring method?
    Thanks guys for all the positive comments. My coloring methods are pretty basic faux painting techniques. I use high quality latex and glazing medium. For instance the base of Voluptuous Bieder is a solid dark orange/brown and then two sponged on glazes of different values over top of that. Then several coats of clear WB Poly. On Dali Bieder I used both milk paint and acrylic. The surreal tableaux on top of the table is painted with milk paint, the whitish form had a first coat of gray and then a couple of coats of white. You can then steel wool with 00 and 000 to cut through the last painted color and start exposing the under-layer. That way you get a variegated look. Same thing was done with the orangish stump that the white piece rests on. In that case by rubbing through the top layer I exposed the higher ridges of the carving crating a very nice affect. The clock face was sprayed with acrylic. The metallic rim was hand-painted with Liquitex Bronze metallic acrylic. Hope that answers some of the coloring questions.

Looks like you have some real nice tallent. Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the Creek Dennis. Some real nice work there... Thanks for the look see.

You are an artist. Originality, creativity and quality craftsmanship seem to be your hallmarks.

Thanks for sharing, Bret