Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly G0634XP 12" jointer/planer with end mount fence

New Grizzly G0634XP 12" jointer/planer with end mount fence

Page 50 of the 2011 catalog (available online if you haven't gotten the hard copy yet) shows the new Polar version of their 12" J/P combo and they have solved one of the complaints about the large footprint the "green" version of the machine had. The fence is now end mounted.

Also see it here:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-P...Series/G0634XP

Makes sense to me...Only have to worry about the fence being perpendicular to the bed and not parallel to anything. The fence shouldn't see any significant load, so it looks like a pretty good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Rudolph View Post
    Makes sense to me...Only have to worry about the fence being perpendicular to the bed and not parallel to anything. The fence shouldn't see any significant load, so it looks like a pretty good solution.
    Exactly, they adopted the form factor some Euro machines such as the Minimax FS30 use. Probably the biggest complaint with the Grizzly 12" J/P was the large footprint resulting from the clunky fence design. For people who have used large cast iron fences for years the "give" associated with aluminum and end mounted fences can be unnerving but as you mention as long as the fence remains perpendicular to the beds all is good.

Good catch. Looking at the 2010 catalog, it appears this fence design started a year ago with the 10" G0675 Jointer/Planer. The new $5,000 G0660X 16" Jointer/Planer seems to have this same fence. Has anyone tried the G0675 fence? It does seem to be a great way to allow the machine to be closer to the wall.
    I've been thinking about a G0490X, but it's such a huge footprint. I may have to save up for the 12" G0634XP because the reviews of the 10" Jointer/Planers from both Grizzly and Jet have been underwhelming.
    Maybe someone needs to build a jointer fence that uses those cool apposing hinge knuckles like the new Bosch miter saw!

IMHO, I still like the JET better.

I like Grizz, tools, have their 17" BS. But the JET, just seems 'cleaner'. And so far, it works very, very well.

This is not a bash grizz, just my opinion as a Jet owner. Take it for what it's worth.

GB
    Some people seem brighter after being set on fire

I like the look of this new J/P! And it's funny they don't mention that it's a spiral insert cutterhead, too. (It's in the specs but not the marketing text on the website). Sweet machine and a good price!

Oops, I see it in the title. Still, they should emphasize it.
    Last edited by Chris Nolin; 01-03-2011 at 6:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greg a bender View Post
    IMHO, I still like the JET better.

I like Grizz, tools, have their 17" BS. But the JET, just seems 'cleaner'. And so far, it works very, very well.

This is not a bash grizz, just my opinion as a Jet owner. Take it for what it's worth.

GB
    Quite frankly I would buy the Jet instead as well, even with this change as long as the dollars were very similar, over time it seems they tend to go on sale at different times and if the new Grizzly (after some good reviews) was 200-300 cheaper I would probably go that route if I was buying one.

Blog Entries
    I am hoping that in the coming month or 2 funds will present themselves to make a J/P purchase possible. I think the Grizley ranks pretty high on my list, especially when it would appear that it can be had with the spiral cutter head for significantly less money then the jet. Maybe I am going crazy but it seems like getting the jet with a Spiral cutterhead makes it close to a grand more then the grizzley.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Exactly, they adopted the form factor some Euro machines such as the Minimax FS30 use. Probably the biggest complaint with the Grizzly 12" J/P was the large footprint resulting from the clunky fence design. For people who have used large cast iron fences for years the "give" associated with aluminum and end mounted fences can be unnerving but as you mention as long as the fence remains perpendicular to the beds all is good.
    I used to have an older delta 6" jointer with the end mounted fence. Even the deflection on that fence was unnerving and it was cast iron. I really like the fence NOT moving directly at the cutterhead. But then again I like the idea of a smaller footprint. I think you still have to take the fence off the machine to convert it though right?

*Sarcasm* I really hate you Van *Sarcasm*

I had finally decided on the Jet JJP-12HH over the Griz, but now this is going to make me go back and try and re-decide what I want. I really like the idea of the space saving fence design.

-Stephen

Yeah, my JJP-12HH will be here tomorrow but had I seen this a week ago I might very well have made a different decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Maybe I am going crazy but it seems like getting the jet with a Spiral cutterhead makes it close to a grand more then the grizzley.
    The current delivered price of the Polar Bear is ~2400 liftgate (based on the non-polar version of shipping) BUT my guess is since they don't have shipping even listed for this J/P it may be some time before it is available (remember the 1023s). The Jets are off sale now but go on and off regularly and can usually be gotten about 2500 street with the helical head, roughly the non-sale price of the non-polar Grizzly. If price is a factor you have to shop the Jets around even at sale time and compare them to the current Grizzly price, they switch back and forth as to who is the cheapest, don't forget the Jets have free liftgate delivery when comparing.

I thought that end mounted design was old school. A jointer was always thought to be better with a center mount.
    End mount is like a Harbor Freight jointer.
    What am I missing that this end mount is better?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

14. [QUOTE=Van Huskey;1600461]The current delivered price of the Polar Bear is ~2400 liftgate (based on the non-polar version of shipping) BUT my guess is since they don't have shipping even listed for this J/P it may be some time before it is available (remember the 1023s). QUOTE]

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/Main/50

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I thought that end mounted design was old school. A jointer was always thought to be better with a center mount.
    End mount is like a Harbor Freight jointer.
    What am I missing that this end mount is better?
    I agree it is probably not "better" from an engineering standpoint BUT it is definitely better for the footprint of the machine, the big complaint against the Grizzly vs other J/P combos. Take a look at the Minimax FS30 for example definitely not Harbor Freight quality and keeps the size compact, one of the main objectives of J/Ps. The key is it has to stay perpendicular to the beds, parallel with the bed edge is a non-issue but it makes some people nervous when a jointer fence flexes in any direction.