Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions please - Rockwell Unisaw?

Blog Entries
    Buy that saw. I got mine for about $450 with that same fence included. Mine is older but 2hp 3 phase. Ditto, offer 300 to 400 because you will need a phase converter. You can get a converter on ebay for $100.

You will love this saw. The jet-lok fence is not a bad fence and I have built many things with mine (but I found a 52" Bies on CL for fifty bucks and I am gonna put it on because mine has the short tubes). If you need help with your unisaw, can be found www.owwm.org which is a wonderful site. I currently have 17 OWWMs.

David G....who bought my unisaw for 350 bucks and changed bearings and wow.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    Greg, others

I am not in the Denver area.

Jim
    Oops...Wisconsin! Sorry ;-)

The fact the saw is still available, sez something about the asking price for a 3-phase machine. Offer $400!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Did Jim find a new home for it ?

B,

Who knows?!?! I guess he is either sulking because it got away, or busy tearing it apart for his rehab!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Jim, I have the same saw- you can get any part for it all day long. As long as the table is good, and trunnion functions properly, you should be OK- Personally I would offer $300 based on 3ph power. Go from there- 3ph stuff doesnt usually sell quick. Make the upgrade to a 3hp single phase motor (shop around, they're not too $$) Hang onto the 3 ph motor in case you need to build a phase converter someday- (yes I said BUILD a phase converter)

my 2 cents
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

I just bought (3 days ago) a late '90's Uni, in PERFECT condition, 52inch Unifence, 3HP 1Ph, for $520. This saw looks like it just came out of the factory box. There's hardly any sign of boards sliding along the fence. I doubt it was 20 hours on it. My point? With today's economy, there are, sadly, a lot of Uni's for sale. Unless you are in a big hurry, take your time, find a single phase unit, or pay ~$300 for the saw you are describing.

WTG Jim! Great gloat on a pristine Uni! Your machine is the exception from most Unisaws I see for sale on eBay or CL. The vast majority for sale have seen plenty of use, with various "make-do" modifications during their lifetime. Unisaw Afficianados draw the line when Delta changed from the old cabinet with dust door to the newer solid cabinet. This change also coincided with when Delta began to increasingly use Chinese parts "assembled in USA."

The Unisaw the OP has in mind, is one of the nicer units I have seen in quite a while. In view of it's age, and the fact it appears not to be missing the parts that up the ante; $450 or $500 might be a fair price. Consider yourself wayy lucky too!

SawStop put a lot of old Unisaws on the market.

Update....

I did not buy the saw (in Wisconsin)....

I pondered the decision for quite a while....in the end, it seemed better not to persue it....

Why?

I have a mid 70's 10" contractor saw - yeah - it's a Craftsman, but it has served me well.

I have a limited budget (supply of cash), and w/ the Unisaw being 3 phase, even if the owner agreed to sell, I couldn't swing the phase convertor for a while.

I could really use a band saw, and a floor stand drill press. My cash supply could get me the drill press now, and I'm not far from the band saw - not to mention some smaller goodies like a biscut jointer, Wolverine system (for my lathe chisels), etc....

Thank you for all the replys - this was a good starter education on 3 ph power....

Jim

2hp 3ph... you can pick up a VFD for ~$200. This will give you soft start and the capability to add a braking resistor to slow the blade should you ever want to. With a 3ph motor you don't have any starting capacitors or centripetal switches to worry about (a new 1ph motor you won't have to worry about them either but it will be a concern for your off spring some day). I guess what I am saying is that I believe a 3ph motor on a VFD is a nicer setup than a 1ph motor.

I would take $500 with me and offer $400. Personally I prefer a left tilt blade but that is just a personal preference. I used the tube fence on my Powermatic 65 for 6+ years before a Vega landed in my lap for cheap. I always wished for a nicer fence but the original Powermatic tube fence was very usable! Now I really miss having a hold down lock on the back rail of my Vega and Besmeyer fences!
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 03-21-2011 at 3:46 PM.