Thread: Blade Brake not working on Delta/Rockwell 33-890 RAS

Blade Brake not working on Delta/Rockwell 33-890 RAS

I picked up this early 1980's Delta / Rockwell 33-890 12" RAS (see attachment) for less than $100 and actually bought it for parts hoping the 220v 1 ph motor was working for possible use on a 3 ph 33-893 that I have parked in the corner of my shop. The university from whom I purchased the saw had bypassed the Delta toggle switch on the upper arm and had installed a bolt-on Square D box with a conventional contact on/off switch. The unit doesn't have LVC. The motor seems to run fine but when turned off the blade runs forever. My limited understanding about this model is that it should have a mechanical (centrifical) brake.

Anyone out there have any experience with mechanical brake parts availability for these old style Emerson powered units? Delta on-line shows I could replace the motor assembly (with brake) for $803, replace the centrifical brake for $124 or replace the brake disc for $2.36. Is this a service center diagnostic problem or is this something that I may be able to diagnose and repair?

Any experience and/or advise is appreciated.

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

First thing to check for is dust/debris at the brake. Also check the gap(use a feeler gage) should be about .02" IIRC. If no dust, and gap is correct, the next thing on the list is electrical check. I'll try to find my service notes.
    PM if you don't have any luck.
    Mick