Thread: 2 Bowls

2 Bowls

These 2 bowls were finished today. The first one is an elm bowl in the SW design with a mystic bird outlined with a woodburner, and colored with a prismacolor. It is 6 in. high and 10 in. wide, and finished with tung oil then buffed. The second bowl is magnolia which is 13 1/2 inches wide X 5 inches high and finished the same as the elm. This one had a big void you can see in the front which I filled with coffee grounds and thin CA glue. Hope you like 'um, comments and questions welcomed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Beautiful work Glenn.
    Thanks for sharing

Dawn

Glenn -

Those are very attractive bowls. Coffee grounds, huh? Interesting.

Ted

When exactly do you fill the void when turning a bowl? I have a myrtle blank that will most likely have a small void in it.

You sure do pretty work, Glenn. I don't know how many ways I can say it except you do pretty work. Always a pleasure...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thank you for your kind remarks. Mark, I put painters masking tape behind a through the piece void, and put a layer of coffee grounds in, pore on the thin CA glue, then more coffee grounds, more thin CA glue until it is filled. Do not put any accelerator on it because it will fuzz up with white fuzz. After it is dry I sand, and it looks like wood.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

This might seem like a silly question BUT is the coffee grounds used or not had any hot water filtered thru them? I would like to drink the coffee before I would fill the void... I guess I could part with a little bit of it to fix a problem.

TIA

Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Good question Randy, but it does not matter.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Very nice work, Glenn.

Randy, coffee gounds are becoming more popular as a filler these days and you can't beat the price! Further, you can vary the grind and hence the visible texture of the filler in the resin with a flick of a knob on your grinder. If you are an espresso/latté drinker, you'll already have pleny of fine grounds! BTW, you can use "used" grounds. Just spread them out on a cookie sheet to dry before mixing them into the resin. Spreading them out keeps them from getting moldy...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Excuse me Mark, I reread your post, and I really did not answer your question, sorry about that. I fill the void after the piece is dry, and I am ready to rough turn it. Sometimes after you rough turn a piece you will find a void, then you can also use the coffee grounds. You can use them anytime, but I would caution using them when the piece is green and is still moving. Good luck with the experience, I can not take credit for the invention of the coffee grounds, I learned it from somone else, I am only passing along something that works for me. This forum has been helpful to me over the years, and I am trying to do likewise.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia