Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodshop vacuum cleaner advice sought.

Woodshop vacuum cleaner advice sought.

I would like to find an upright vacuum cleaner suitable for use in my wood production shop. The typical, canister type shop vacuums are somewhat slow and cumbersome, and using a push broom to sweep 20' or so to the various floor pickups in the shop is time consuming; plus I have to have the big dust collection system running (I have two systems in my shop).

A few years back I recall seeing one of the woodshop books a shop featured where an older woodworker used a large upright vacuum, but I have not been able to locate my copy (or find the vac on the internet). As I recall it looked like a standard, Royal type upright vacuum, except that it was about 20+ inches wide and suitable for picking up both shavings AND sawdust.

I've found some wide throat, indoor-outdoor type models, but they are not recommended for fine sawdust, and the house type vacuums that work on sawdust get clogged up by planer shavings. I'd prefer something that has a bag that can be emptied instead of requiring me to constantly replace paper bags.

Since I'm doing production manufacturing work (S2S, resawing, wide belt sanding, etc), I'd like something that will be fast and effective.

Anybody have any knowledge of something like this?

Thx.

Scott

We were pretty happy using this one in a shop.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAY...003?Pid=search

How about a Billy Goat?

Look at shopvac website ,I found mine there after reading same article in fine woodworking shop issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    We were pretty happy using this one in a shop.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAY...003?Pid=search

Greg, thanks for the info. How well does the Dayton model work picking up fine dust?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Keller View Post
    Look at shopvac website ,I found mine there after reading same article in fine woodworking shop issue.

Thanks Henry. Do you have the Shop Sweep model? If so, how do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    How about a Billy Goat?

Alan, that's a serious vacuum! Too bad it's not electric....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Alan, that's a serious vacuum! Too bad it's not electric....
    Not yet!! Think about it- at max hp a typical B&S motor turns around 3600 RPM. Find a Billy Goat with a dead engine, pull that sucker off, and install a 3450, 5 Hp induction motor- and a long cord!!!

Run a flexible line from a blast gate on the DC?

Edit: I meant to add ....as a floor sweep.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 03-20-2011 at 1:42 AM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I use an old Kirby with a zipper bag. Its not efficient, but I just want to pick up the chips quick. Works good, is quiet, and cost me $10.

Thanks all for the feedback. I just ordered the Shop Sweep by Shop Vac from Amazon. It was about 15 bucks less than Graingers, and appeared to be the exact same machine (plus it included free shipping).

I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts about it, once you've used it for a bit, Scott.

I get by pretty well with my 6.5HP ShopVac -- with the HEPA filter, and pantyhose protecting IT -- and a 20' "pos-i-lok" hose, pushing the bristled "floor sweep" nozzle.

But it would be good to understand my options.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Brooks View Post
    I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts about it, once you've used it for a bit, Scott.

I get by pretty well with my 6.5HP ShopVac -- with the HEPA filter, and pantyhose protecting IT -- and a 20' "pos-i-lok" hose, pushing the bristled "floor sweep" nozzle.

But it would be good to understand my options.

Neil, I'll be glad to post an update. I have a craftsman 6.5 hp canister vac; in this instance I'm trying to figure out if there is a quicker, more effective option available.

The biggest Freud "shop vac" is hard to beat. In a different league from any shop vac I've seen. 30 / 5 / 2 micron filters readily available ( but costly ). It does everything right except for switch placement. Put on a 4" hose with a floor wand and there you go. I think even George Wilson recommend one once.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Sansom View Post
    The biggest Freud "shop vac" is hard to beat. In a different league from any shop vac I've seen. 30 / 5 / 2 micron filters readily available ( but costly ). It does everything right except for switch placement. Put on a 4" hose with a floor wand and there you go. I think even George Wilson recommend one once.
    Doesn't hole a candle to a Binford with Taylor mods!