Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood gloat :)

Trevor - congrats on picking up some beautiful wood! Hope you get it sealed in time!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn from it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats on the wood. Nice haul.
    Eugene in NC

Nice! I'm drooling over that big crotch piece in the first pic.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, and good knowing I didn't bring a haul of fire wood home.
    A little late but I will make sure I take the pith out. I had other plans today so I just went ahead and anchor sealed all of it, I will give it a second coat tomorrow. As far as getting to turn it, this is enough wood to last me a looooonnnnnggggg time and what sucks is if i had the storage I could get another 4 loads like it. It is a shame to think of the remainder going to waste.
    Couple of picks for those of you who drooled over the crotch piece in the first photo, here is what you did not see buried under the pile, the 5 gallon container is for size. No idea what I am going to do with them yet, I will be back in the future to ask
    Attached Images Attached Images

Send em over...
    David DeCristoforo

Trevor,

There are articles about preparing green wood for turning. Most bowls are usually turned cross grain and not end grain. Preparing a gross grain bowl from a log, cut a log section slightly longer than the bowl diameter (usually slightly longer than the diameter). That log section is then split, and to cut the pith out you make a cut lengthwise on each side of the pith. I like to think of the pith cut thickness as about 10 to 15% of the diameter to help prevent the checking. Depending on your log, the pith section can be cut thicker if the bowl blanks will allow. Bowls can be turned from the blanks with either the bark out (natural edge) or with bowl bottom at the bark side which is more traditional.

The hollow forms are usually turned with the pith remaining. Some smaller section of Bradford Pear make good goblets if the pith is off center so that it does not end up in the stem. BP is good practice wood in any case, and you can get some excellent finished items in the learning process.

Thanks again for all the advice, unfortunately as happens lately, this has gone on the back burner, life got in the way. Pleased I got them sealed yesterday, I will try to get a second coat ASAP.

4 more loads and you didn't offer it to fellow creekers?

Great Haul. I think you are in need of a bigger lathe than the one in the background of pic 3. Now postpone those other "life things" and get to turning