Thread: Best insulation for a shed?

Best insulation for a shed?

I just got a 14x30 shed for my workshop. I know nothing about insulation other then it will help keep the cool inside in the summer heat. I did a few searches, but couldnt find anything specific to sheds. I live in florida, and it gets real hot inside small closed spaces on hot summer days. I dont really have much money to spend so that is a factor, but in the end, I would rather pay now, and have it done right and save a bit each month on the electric bill. What do you all reccomend?

Thanks in advance, John K

Blog Entries
    Describe the construction. That will help us answer.

Basically, its just a plain old shed. Has 2x4 framing (stud every 16"), and aluminum siding and roof. The floor is some type of compressed resin infused ply that I have never seen before. Seems nice though.

I suppose that good old fiberglass batting will be the easiest. I was just wondering if there was anything else that might be helpful.

John,

My wife's workshop is a 10' x 16' shed with stud walls 24' OC and we just used good ole Owens-Corning R-13 batts in both the walls and the ceiling covered with 7/16" OSB.

All she uses in the winter is a small space heater w/blower and for summer she has a 5000 BTU air conditioner....

MBS1.jpg

MBS2.jpg

She had to cut 2' off the batts cause the ceiling height is only 6' (I'm 6'2" and have to duck when I visit her shop She's 5'1" )
    MBS3.jpg

MBS4.jpg

MBS5.jpg

All painted up....
    MBS6.jpg

Here's the shop in use....The heater is the yellow thing on the floor!
    MBS7.jpg
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

Blog Entries
    I'm in a hot climate like yours. One of the best things you can do is provide venting under the metal roof with insulation between you and the venting. Easiest to do during construction, but if you can put in eave vents between the rafters high and low --then insulate under that (for example with rigid foam insulation with an airgap then a drywall ceiling you can prevent a lot of heat gain. I rebuilt my stud and board and batten barn with a new metal roof with eave and a full ridge vent with 2 inch rigid foam on the walls and the inside temp only varies between 40 and 60 while the outside ranges from 12 to 104 over the past year!

I would also incorporate some type of radiant barrier. I used the stuff made by Radiant Guard.

What are you going be doing in the shed or what will it be used for? You will certainly have to have some sort of cooling in the summer. As described, you have created an oven. Insulation is not necessary if you don't have some sort of cooling.
    Howie.........