Thread: The vortex is strong a couple of ????????

The vortex is strong a couple of ????????

Very close to breaking ground on shed/ studio, just picked up permit from town 16'x24'
    asking for input on tool choices and thoughts.

Asking for input the decisions right now are the Laguna LT18 3000 bandsaw and there 3HP D/C.
    had to call to ask the differance on the Italian one salesman told me not worth the extra 2 grand. The D/C is $1950 unless someone can talk me out of it checked pass threads and all seem the same. March madness sale free shipping and 4 blades for bandsaw.
    Asking for good suggeston on compressor price range around 1000. Want it for sand blasting, carving and piercing????

Right now figuring on 4 - 220 volt outlets and wiring for 1 just in case if future calls for it. I am asking while the walls are not up yet and still have time... Had a full set up once but had to sell alot of stuff do to lifes ups and downs, but the VORTEX is strong..

Just watched John Jordans DVD and thinking of making one wall 6'x16' closet like one section for D/C and compressor and the other for blank storage like 6'x10' with racks and a dehumidifier for the concept no air movement???????? He puts his in cabinets to dry why not a large closet... any thought?????

PS going to try and keep it as clean as Mr Keeton, but that should last about a week.....

sounds like you have done it before, so you have your own preferances

PS going to try and keep it as clean as Mr Keeton, but that should last about a week.....
    you will need compressed air to keep it that clean, welcome to board, when you get set up Joel, show us some pictures

Sounds exciting! You mention the 4-220 volt outlets made me think of what I did when I added some wiring to my 2-car garage/shop. It had no 220 run at all, so I actually ran two separate 220 circuits. They run the the perimeter of three walls and I have a total of 7 boxes, with two plugs in each box - so that each box has a single plug for each circuit. I wanted to do that because I'm running most of my equipment now on 220 and there are times when I actually have two machines running at one time, and I didn't want to have two I might have running at the same, on the same circuit, if that makes sense. You might consider that while you're wiring.

I put my shop in the basement of the house we just bought about 5 years ago,some one told me to figure how many plugs of 110 and 220 then add 6 to 8 more 110 and 2 to 4 more 220. Also put a Y in your dust collection piping every where you have 5 foot of straight pipe.
    My shop has 4 open 110's, 2 open 220's and no open dust collection ports and I did the max on extras.That someone was right. Good luck on your set-up can't wait to see the pic's.

My shop is 24 by 36. I had a 100 amp panel put in it and have all the bigger machines on dedicated circuits. It may be a bit more than you need, but allows room for expansion should you need it. Laguna makes a great bandsaw, but service isn't good. Woodcraft is now carrying Laguna tools. That dust collector is way more than you need for that small of a shop. Search for Oneida dust collection systems. I do have a 3 hp model in my shop, and I can run 2 machines at once. You could easily get away with a 2 hp system, which should most likely be on a dedicated circuit. You should get a 2 stage (cyclone) system if you can, as they work a lot better.

robo hippy

I'd check out Quincy if I were in the market for a large compressor very highly recomended.

Thanks for the input. runing 4-- 220 lines due to, comp (1)-- lathe (2) -- D/C (3) will be runing at same time. Do not think I can piggy back 2 of those machines at the same time on one circuit...

thanks REED looking it up right now.....

new shop

congrats on getting a new studio, i call mine the shop. I built mine 17 years ago and my advice is to go slow with the storage, cabinets, etc. I have changed mine multiple times as my workflow became more streamlined. I don't 'clean as I go', so i ended up taking almost all my pegboard down and put in more shelving, some with big slide out drawers. I do a lot of different things in shop so big drawers are for plumbing, electrical, safety, welding, etc.
    The only feature that hasn't changed over the years is the full wall bench, 28 ft long by 2 ft wide.
    The only thing I wish I did during original construction was more 220v outlets, either in the ceiling or in the floor. I don't like the tripping hazard on floor and now have a 4x4 pole near the tools that use 220 with nm cable stapled to ceiling and then outlets down the pole.
    Building my shop was the best investment I have made, I was able to teach my children life skills there and pretty much remodeled my entire house and now there is that darn vortex. So I guess the shop gets another makeover.
    Good luck

I have the Laguna 18 SE. It has a 16.5" high cutting capacity and a 5 HP motor. I've never had it slow down in a piece of wood. I've had it for about 4 years and have never had to re-set the tracking. It's a wonderful machine.

I generally use it for cutting thick green wood for turning purposes. I found the TimberWolfe blades, purchased directly from Suffolk Machinery, with the "AS" suffix to work well for my application. I usually get the 1/2" blades.

Don Geiger

I prefer the Lennox 1 1/4 inch Diemaster bimetal blades for resawing. Teeth are about 3/4 inches apart.

robo hippy

I've never tried one. I'll have to look them up.

I use the 1/2" because it enables me to cut a tighter radius when preparing bowl and hollow form blanks. Most of my pieces are 10" to 20" diameter.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I prefer the Lennox 1 1/4 inch Diemaster bimetal blades for resawing. Teeth are about 3/4 inches apart.

robo hippy

I have 2 bandsaws. The big Laguna (well, not their biggest, but 16 inch resaw capacity) and a smaller PM industrial model (1 hp motor, cast iron frame and wheels) with 6 inch height capacity. The big saw is for prepping blanks, and is better than a chainsaw. The smaller one has a 1/2 inch blade and is for cutting circles. If I have some thing higher than 6 inches, I nibble off the corners with the big saw. I guess I could get a medium saw (min 2 hp and 10 to 12 inch resaw height) for pieces higher than 6 inches. I don't really want to change out the blades on the big saw. Not a hastle, but most of the time not worth the effort.

I am lucky to have a Lennox dealer here in town, and when I got my first bandsaw, every one told me to go to him because he was the one who supplied the local stores. Good advice. The thing about the bimetal blades is that the teeth are of a harder metal, and the main part of the blade is softer. This means that if you hit a nail, you don't ruin your blade. It may slow it down a little, but not a lot.

robo hippy