Thread: I found one! Hand Grinder

I found one! Hand Grinder

I found this hand powered grinder today at an antique store for $25. It is made by the Modern Grinder Mfg. Co. Model T5. Looks to be in good shape. Gears inside are in great shape. Need to make a wood handle for it.

IMG_0718_1.jpgIMG_0719_1.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

That looks real similar to the Luther I just picked up. You may find that some bronze thrust washers help reduce the friction where there is steel/steel contact between moving parts. A light oiling of the gears is a big plus too, no heavy lubes. I still need to set mine up and get to using it. I pretty much just got a new wheel and the thrust bearings so far.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I have a hand grinder like this but the wheel is broken. Any suggestions about where I could find another wheel? I think that I need a 4 or 5 inch diameter wheel. Unfortunately I can't actually find it to measure the wheel. What are the recommendations for the grit and hardness?

Thanks,
    David

Shopsmith sells a 5" grinding wheel. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/c...dingwheels.htm But you will need to reduce the hole down to fit your arbor. I used a bronze bushing I found at Sears hardware. I used a 100 grit 6" wheel I found at Sears department store. Sears hardware does not stock them.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

what a treasure [want to sell it