Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messing around with burl caps

Messing around with burl caps

So I have this box of little Aussie burl caps, and I pick one up every now and then but usually end up throwing it back in the box. Today, I had a little turning time, and I pulled one out of the box that actually made it to the lathe. This started as 6" x 4" x 2" red mallee burl cap. After I finished the bottom and reversed it, an idea came into my head. Why not try for a miniature HF in the middle of it? This is what I ended up with. The pedestal is holly with India ink. If you look closely, you can see that the pedestal base warped just a bit from the addition of the ink. It still sits upright, so I guess it's not that big a deal. I did a little pyrography around the opening of the hollow form just to pick up a little of the black in the pedestal. It's finished with shellac and one coat of WOP thus far. It's about 6 inches wide and tall.

I thought about a finial for the HF, but to keep it proportional to the HF it would be too small for the overall piece. The inspiration for this piece was from a Jimmy Clewes video where he did something similar.

As always, comments and criticism appreciated.
    red-mallee-pedestal-1.jpgred-mallee-pedestal-2.jpgred-mallee-pedestal-3.jpg

2. Most unusual I have seen in a while.....very creative! You really highlighted the burl, and you have a nice pedestal as well. I really like your finial idea, and think you should revisit that possibility...........I think you could make one that compliments the piece and does not compete with it. Good stuff, David!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That's just too cool for words!
    David DeCristoforo

That is very nice, looks like someone has been thinking outside the box.

david,
    very nice way cool

patrick

You have something different there, that's for sure! Am I understanding correctly that the little hollowform is part of the main form, and not turned seperately and glued on?? Nice work.

Don't know what to say but Wow. Really just to cool David.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    You have something different there, that's for sure! Am I understanding correctly that the little hollowform is part of the main form, and not turned seperately and glued on?? Nice work.
    Yes, it's all turned as one piece... It would have been easier to just glue it on.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Yeah, what they all said! That is really neat. This is just my opinion, but I'm not sure you would have to keep a finial perfectly proportional to the HF, given the mass underneath it. JMO.

Excellent!
    ps - I started to turn my one and only aussie burl yesterday, and pretty quick put it right back on the shelf. Dusty and hard as heck.

David, I really, really like the form - all of it. The pedestal is nice, but IMO this piece deserves something different. One thought on a finial would be to do a multi-piece that would pick up on the stamen idea - sort of an exotic flower, lily pad, concept. Just a thought - as I realize the scale gets a little difficult to do at this point.

Very creative, and very well done!

That is one sweet piece David....

Very pretty and unique! Great combo and job David!

speechless, it take good tool control to pull something like that off. Beautiful piece David, keep up the good work, hope that pedestal don't warp any more on ya.

David, very well done sir! Since you did the pyro on it I don't think a finial would work too well. I like it the way it is. I do think on your next one could be a little bigger on the hollow form which gives you a little more flexibility for the finial. Which Clewes video did you see this on as I don''t remember seeing anything like this. Just too cool!!

David, Wow!
    I'm not familiar with the Jimmy Clewes video, but I have to guess that even with his inspiration, this has to be one of the most unique turnings I've seen. I really like it.

Now, as to the technical aspects of turning something like this, how in the heck did you do it? I've done some wild edged natural pieces but never with something where I had to get down and under the bottom of a HF while the wings of the base are trying give me the nickname, "stubby". What kind of tool did you use to get the lower 1/3 of the HF portion? If it's a secret, I understand. But that really has me in awe and scratching my head. This is one of those turnings that really fascinates me. Beautiful work!