Thread: Win/DOS long and short file names - problem

Win/DOS long and short file names - problem

Hi All,

I am looking for a utility that displays both the DOS short filenames and the long filenames. Any suggestion?

I have some old software that runs a cnc machine under DOS 6.22 in win98. I create the tool-path files using software that runs under Vista and has file names such as

Holes for square blank.cnc
    Holes for round blank.cnc

When I try to load the files in the DOS based software I get the DOS short version of the filenames.

Holes~1.cnc
    Holes~2.cnc

All of that works OK, but if the tool-path file is modified at the cnc machine, I need to know which short name refers back to the long name. Currently I search for the changed file, but that can take some time when I have 200 files. The date stamp is updated when the cnc machine closes the files, so all files that day have the same date stamp.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

At a command-prompt in the appropriate folder you can type "dir /x" to get both short and long names.

Thanks Phil,

I should have mentioned I had tried that but that the CMD prompt window cannot be widened to view the complete line and there is no wrap or horizontal scroll bar for some reason.

Hovering over the left and right borders, I get the double-end arrows that look like it should expand but it does not. If I click for "full screen" it just extends the window to the top and bottom of the screen but stays the same width.
    Dave J

How much of the long file name do you need for uniqueness? In my 80-character wide command prompt, I have enough room for approx. 28 characters in the long file name. Which is fine unless your long file names are > 28 characters and something like:

"This_happens_to_be_long_filename_number_1"
    "This_happens_to_be_long_filename_number_2"

In a case like that you wouldn't be able to see the _1 or _2.

Tell us more, someone will be able to help.

I don't have an answer, but it's good to see you again Dave!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Problem solved,

I wrote a rough and dirty Delphi app that displays both. Took about 10 minutes, should not have been so lazy to start with.
    Dave J

Cant you just do "dir /x > textfile.txt" then use Notepad or similar to view the output?
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I don't have an answer, but it's good to see you again Dave!
    Hi Scott,

Thanks, but I was only making a flash visit to call on the collective wisdom of the internet.
    Dave J

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    Cant you just do "dir /x > textfile.txt" then use Notepad or similar to view the output?
    Yeah, I guess I could have but I tossed together a program that lists the file names in two side-by-side list boxes. As I mentioned, I was being too lazy, but I thought someone may have had a utility that did this.
    Dave J