Thread: Don't know if it is a gloat, but it is old arn!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking Don't know if it is a gloat, but it is old arn!

I scored a vintage DeWalt MBF radial arm saw on c-list today. One hundred bucks. It was left in the guy's basement from the previous home owner, and he was happy that it would be put to use.

Just about everything appears to be in working order. The carriage slid back and forth smoothly, with no play, but it does feel a little stiff. That could be because all I have to compare it to is my Dad's '80's Craftsman, and because it was sitting too long. The arm rotated freely, and the height adjustment, while also stiff, worked well. I was also able to rotate the motor horizontally easily, but the couldn't rotate it in the other direction because I couldn't pull the pin back to unlock it. I would think a little penetrating oil will free it.

There is a little rust, like on the pin mentioned, and some of the original paint is worn off, but cosmetically it seems to be in good shape. Just kind of dirty. I also have the original cabinet stand, which aside from a little rust, is solid as well. The saw appears to have the original table, but it is a little beat up. I'm not sure if I should keep it or make a new one. He did have the owner's manual, but couldn't find it at the moment (wife moved it), so he has my info, and said he'll mail it to me.

There are a few negatives, besides the frozen pin. The electrical cords are frayed in at least one place, and cracked in others, but being 54 years old, I can't expect any better. I will replace them. The other thing is there is no "on" switch. You just plug it in to turn it on. He mentioned that someone told him there should be some sort of toggle switch there, so I'll have to investigate and get something. Also, I think there should have been a drawer behind the door of the base cabinet. I downloaded some stuff from that old machine website, and it showed this drawer.

Hopefully the name plates come through in the photos, but if they aren't readable, this is an MBF saw with a "Rel" (release?) number of 244. It has a 3/4 hp motor and was manufactured in 1957. The seller said it was an 8" saw, but from everything I've seen, I think it is a 9", although, a 9" blade would just barely fit under the guard.

Over all, I think I got a good deal, but don't know if it is a gloat? I've got a little bit of work to do with it, but I don't think it will be too bad. I'm not going to go hog wild and disassemble everything, clean it and give it a new paint job. I'll just clean what needs to be cleaned, replace what needs replacing and adjust things if necessary so I can make some sawdust. Oh, and speaking of sawdust, I guess I'll have to get that book, and bone up a little on RAS's. I'm sure the creek and other sites will help also. In fact, I have to thank a creeker already. Neil Brooks has been a great help in the process already. I asked him a few questions, and he responded with a plethora () of information. I would have been more unsure of myself looking at this saw, if it wasn't for Neil.

So what do all of you think? Any thoughts, tips, suggestions or "you suck"s will be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Effinger; 03-20-2011 at 7:20 PM.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.