Thread: mitre saw station completed

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

mitre saw station completed

After I long struggle, I put the measuring tapes on the table fences today to pretty much finish up my mitre saw station. It sits on 5 storage cabinets (badly needed in any case), is basically a 13' long torsion box built from 3/4" baltic birch. The saw itself had to be elevated about 1/4" to get it level with the tables. I put the tables as close to the saw as possible while still allowing the saw full swing in both pivots. For some cuts (hopefully rare) I will have to remove the saw's sliding fences and this cannot be done with the saw between the tables. Rather than put the tables even further from the saw, I will move the saw forward when I have to do this. The saw sits inside cleats that will hopefully force it back into the same location after a move. I have put 4 leveling screws in the torsion box above each cabinet as my garage floor is quite uneven. This allowed me to get the tables nearly perfectly level and inline with each other.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Baker SD; 03-20-2011 at 8:05 PM. Reason: adding more info

That's a beauty James!

A well set up miter saw station will pay off for years to come. Considering that the crosscut is the single most common operation in a shop, it's always amazed me how many just plop their fancy chop saw on a bench and call it good.

Looks like you might need a little block of wood labeled "10" though. Use it as a spacer for times when you are cutting shorter pieces.

Thanks for posting, Steve

That's a really nice setup. Love those Festool sliders... Lots to drool at there...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Wow!! That's one sweet miter saw station. I sure would like to duplicate it in my shop, but I'm sure that SWMBO would object. It's a true budget buster. I'm sure that you're going to enjoy it for many years.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

My set-up is on a single "stand alone" cabinet. It is all wood with the Kreg Measuring Sytem as the stops. I ran into the same issue with the sliding fences. I chose to shorten them to allow the fences to extend fully. I use a 20" spacer for cutting parts smaller than the stops can reach.
    Attached Images Attached Images