Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axe question

What you have is a broad or hewing hatchet,( same thing, just two names). Yours is mounted to be used right handed, although the original handle is probably long gone. It would have been either bent or carved with a very gentle curve away from the flat side of the hatchet to give clearance for you hand when hewing. I have a newer version ( Vaughn) which uses a curved head to solve that problem, allowing the use of a straight handle. Your hatchet is best used for shaping green wood for various projects such as handles, spoons, turning blanks etc... Leave the flat side flat,(except for a very small back bevel), and you will have much better control when shaping parts. It greatly reduces the tendancy for the axe to dig into the wood and spoil your work.

Thanks Fred, There is currently a slight back bevel on the flat side now and I wasn't sure if I should keep it or not when I start sharpening it. I guess I'll leave it how it is and just touch up the edge.

I went to the Hardware store today and none of their replacement hatchet handles appear to fit, so I guess I'll be making one from scratch eventually. Maybe that will be my first project with this hewing hatchet on my next backpacking trip. Anyone know the best Length for the handle? 14" or 19"? just wondering as those were the two lengths available at the HW store for replacements.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    ~Everyone has the strength, few possess the will~

The form of your hatchet would suggest that it's quite old - possibly 18th century. Unfortunately, though, it would be very difficult to tell for sure without a metallurgical analysis (the composition of wrought iron and steel varied according to the manufacturing method, and is characteristic of the time period when it was made). The form suggests a British origin, but it could just as easily be American.