Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a laser cutter to help me start my jewelry supply business

Looking to buy a laser cutter to help me start my jewelry supply business

Greetings Fellow Creek Members! My name is Brandy & I'm new to the Creek and grateful to have such resourceful advice at my finger tips. I know there have been several posts about which laser cutter to start out with, but I'm going to ask this question again because my niche market is a bit less industrial and more on the creative feminine spectrum.

I am starting an online jewelry supply company, I want the ability to offer various shapes and designs (acrylic & wood mostly) to jewelry makers. I know there is a market for this because I have been a consumer looking for laser cutters who sell the types of materials that I've needed.

I definitely will be targeting a niche market in the types of shapes & designs I will offer. Many of these shapes will appeal to a certain ethnicity. My jewelry store will carry more than just laser cut/engraved materials, it will carry beads, gems, findings, etc. However having these precut pieces will definitely be complimentary to my business.

My question is: Will a 30 - 50 watt laser cutter (some websites have referred to them as hobby) be sufficient enough for me to get a start? I am working with a limited budget for my initial purchase, but I feel that cutting out the middleman of outsourcing will help me to retain more profit.

Lastly, having a laser cutter would enable me to work with markets outside of the jewelry supply segment. I would be able to target various cultural aspects of various demographics, utilzing other methods such as Greek Fratenities/Sororities, wine glass etching, puzzle etc. I am working on my business plan at the moment & marketing is second nature to me. My educational background is IT, but I am a novice at graphics & no AUTO CAD experience. However, given my background & with a few tutorials, I feel confident that I could catch on fast. I also have an in house graphic designer that I could always utilize.

Bottom line - Is it ok for me to start cheap with my laser? Are Chinese lasers a No No? What type of utilities/functions do I need? I've probably said a mothful Thanks in advance for your help Great Wise Ones!

FYI - That should've read "mouthful". My price range is $1800 - $5000. I should also note, that I am interested in forming relationships with other vendors who can provide me with affordable wooden/acrylic shapes until I do purchase my own laser/etching equipment.

The Chinese machines can be quite good. I have a Redsail M900 which has been working out well. Stay away from anything called K40 or 40W Hobby. If it uses MoshiDraw, don't get it, life's too short.

Welcome to the Creek! Ahhh a fellow St Louisan. There are a couple of us here on the Creek! One of the Moderators, Mike Null
    is close, Im at Scott AFB......

As for lasers, some here have good luck with certain brands, but Chinese ones tend to require a bit more hands on approach.
    The standard USA modesl ULS, Epilog, Trotec offer durable equipment with great support. There is a thread here just for Chinese lasers so check it out. When you buy ask for a SMC discount as a couple manufacturers do give members one. There is an Epilog Rep in Columbia IL now so they are close. Check out the NBM show in INDY at the end of May. If you are interested in coming out to Scott AFB PM me and I'll make arrangemenst for you to see my shop. A wealth of info here at SMC!

Also some here have funded their laser through Kickstarter, that may be an option for you, check them out!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Butler View Post
    My educational background is IT, but I am a novice at graphics & no AUTO CAD experience.
    It was exactly the same for me, and I've had very few issues and getting the feel for Corel darw (which you should be able to do pretty much what ever you need in) didn't take that long. My machine is chinese and again no major learning issues. If you have even half way decent IT trouble shooting skill you wont have any trouble adapting to corel, and / or a chinese machine.

The big question you should be asking yourself is how many hours a day do I plan on running the laser. If you are only talking a few hours a day here and there, then you probably won't have any issues with a 'hobby' machine. However if you plan on being in production then you need to look at something better, and by something better I mean laser tube. The hobby tubes use cheaper tubes that will not last very long under the strain of constant production. With 5K you can easily get yourself a chinese machine that will do the trick (mine was in that price range and I've been running it darn near 8 hours + per day 6 days a week since I got it up and running). You could also look at used versions of the 'big 3' trotec, universal, and epilog, but 5k tends to be more of a down payment especially for the higher wattage machines.

Hope that help
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

I would go for at least 50 watts, I have 45 and cutting 1/4" is slow. For the many small items you would be cutting it could take all day to do a full sheet.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks George. I've never heard of Redsail before. Is that the manufacturer's name?

Thank you Marty! I think I may take you up on that offer. That wouldn't be a far ride at all for me to come to Scott. I contacted Epilog, but their starter machine was atleast $8000 and out of my present budget. :-(

I foresee me being able to dedicate 1 - 2 days per week on production. Walt, what site did you buy your machine from & how long have you had it?

Joe, what size do you consider a whole sheet? Most of my pieces would have a 1/8 inch thickness

In my case a "whole sheet" is 12"x24". For the 1/8" thickness it would go almost twice as fast as 1/4", but would still take hours at under 50 watts. That can be a problem because when cutting you really have to be there watching it at all times in case of flare-up/fire. You should not set it going and go to another room. If I remember correctly, last time I cut about 1,000
    small 1/4" circles from 1/8" acrylic it took over an hour on my 45 watt.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Stay away from Full Spectrum. They have cheap machines that break down often, and they have a bad attitude with their customers.Crummy support.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Brandy,

Make sure you budget for the "other stuff" that you may not have or may/may not be included with the base machine. Laser tube cooling, air compressor/pump, air exhaust or filtering, CO2 fire extinguisher (no mess to cleanup, won't damage electronics and other stuff), stand/table.

You should also consider the size of your raw sheet material before selecting a machine to reduce having to cut them before putting in the machine.

Also, besides new, start checking eBay, Craigslist, etc., for machines in your area. I found/bought a very lightly used machine, much larger and more powerful than I was looking for at a great price--less than the "good" hobby sizes--and have no regrets other than it takes up so much space in my modest sized shop.

Good luck,
    Roy
    Roy
    CorelDraw 12, Inkscape, TurboCAD 19
    Homemade 3-axis 18x51" CNC router
    Vectric Aspire 8, PhotoVCarve, Mach 3
    EurekaZone track saw system

Brandy,
    I am buying a used ULS 2.30 25W from Engraversnetwork.com (ULS Vendor). They have been very patient with me asking questions and waiting on me to figure out how to pay for the machine. I am getting a full set up, laser, filter cabinet, rotary adaptor, photo program and shipping for $9040. The reason I decided to go this route is I could afford it and that ULS machines can be easlily upgraded to higher wattage lasers. Which I plan on doing once I save up more money.

Respectively,
    nathan

Below is the link to the used machines.

http://www.engraversnetwork.com/used...equipment.html

Nathan

I like that company as well but you need to ask more questions about being up-gradable. You're more than likely going to have to buy more than a tube and it isn't as economical as it would seem.

Buying used is not a bad idea.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7