Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cherry burl

cherry burl

Here's a little void-ridden piece of cherry burl that I roughed out before the shop overhaul. I finished it a month or two ago, but I'd forgotten to take photos. It's darkened up nicely since I finished it, so it's probably a good thing that I forgot about it.

It's about 7.5 inches in diameter. Finished with shellac and WOP.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

I included a photo of the bottom just for Jim Burr... I hope you're feeling better.

cherry-burl-2011-2.jpgcherry-burl-2011-6.jpgcherry-burl-2011-4.jpgcherry-burl-2011-5.jpgcherry-burl-2011-1.jpgcherry-burl-2011-3.jpg

David, that is one beautiful piece of wood!! I like the form with the tighter radius on the shoulder, and the voids in this piece really are a special treat. Great work.

Time for you to fess up, David, just where in the hospital do you have the extra lathe hidden?!?!?!?

That is one incredible piece. Did you use tape for extra strength?

Awesome chunk of cherry to the finishline....that thing looks ancient. Love it, thanks for posting!
    mj

Great wood,great shape,great finish, cool voids(always makes turning fun!!) Love it.

David, that's one of the most beautiful Hollowforms I've seen! That's an incredible piece of wood, but what really makes it is your form and how you oriented the voids. I think I'm going to have to print that out and bow to it everytime I go into my shop!

Excellent! Love the wood, the form and all the character! Very - very nice hollow form!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Amazing doc!! And thanks for the pic! The bottom can really make or break a piece and that is my biggest weak spot. I love the finish...all you notice it the wood. The form is very full and the radius John mentioned really gets your eyes to the voids.
    With any luck, I'll be out of jail tomorrow, just want to be home and I miss the shop!!!! Thanks for the cheer up!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Great form, finish, voids, and the wood is kind of nice too! Great job David!

I agree with all that has been said, Great work on the one!!
    Darren in Oshawa

I really like this piece. Great form, beautiful piece of wood
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

You had a great vision of what was inside that burl and your execution is right on.

Cherry is one of my favorites, but when you throw in the burl and voids, that just sends this little puppy right over the top!! All that, and an excellent form and finish make it a winner! Can you tell I like it???

Another excellent piece. What is your secret to keeping a piece with that many voids together?

Beautiful! You're really on a roll -