Thread: Dewalt (AMF) RAS

Dewalt (AMF) RAS

This came up down the street.
    Whatcha think?
    It wasn't on my list of "to buy next" but it caught my eye.

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/tls/2277797187.html

Cheers,

I just got this green guy's brother this weekend. It is more than double the price I paid, but if the seller has put some work into it (like new bearings, etc.) then I say go for it. I'm sure someone that knows more about these will wander in at some point and can give you some good advise. At any rate, good luck.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Pretty steep price. Most of them go for $100, even with a table.
    Make sure the column doesn't move when pushing on the arm side to side, and that it travels relatively easy when cranking it up and down.
    Listen to the bearings for any screeching sound.
    The carriage ought to be smooth, without wiggle in the center. That could indicate worn ways. A $400+ fix.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

4. Yeah, a little overpriced. He mentioned "original condition" which probably means 60 year old bearings too. I'd offer less, and if they balk, I'd wait for another one.

Sal, who's had 4 RAS's and not paid over a hundred for one of them

Add my name to that list.

Agreed: looks like a fairly nice $100 saw

Thanks for the advice everybody. I Don't know the market on these.
    Don't think he is ready to come down so I will take the collective advice and pass.

Cheers,

Where I live that would be a fair price, maybe even low if everything is ship-shape. I can't tell by the pic, but if that's a 10", 1.5 HP version, it's worth every penny. As long as the column, arm and motor are OK, you'll be getting a saw of incredible performance. Worst case, you put in a new set of bearings in the motor and carriage. I bought one used nearly 20 years ago for $175, which is a lot more than $250 in today's dollars. Never regretted that decision - it is supremely versitile and accurate. Whether you buy this one or another, I doubt you will regret it.