Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Burl Vase

Baxter, I would call this one a winner!! Love the wood, and the bark inclusions. This is a form that is a little out of the ordinary, but seems to show the wood very well.

That came out very nice Baxter, and looks like your helpers had a great time as well!

very nice.....

Beautiful piece. I love Cherry, especially Cherry burl.

It is really cool how you get the young helpers involved.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Blog Entries
    WOW! That is a series piece of work. Beautiful work... and great looking kids.
    Have a Nice Day!

Really like that piece. Very dramatic and something that can be studied. In fact, the photography in it's entirety is really outstanding.

Baxter that is one hugh burl. The vase is a beauty. I really like the wood and form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

8. Great form on some very special wood. My personal tastes are want to have wood shine out over bark...........bark inclusions do work on some pieces, and some people think that heartwood lacks any pizzaz, but in my own personal tastes, I like the wood with figured grain.

This piece you have done is stunning to say the least. I am not sure if I would like it better with no bark inclusions............I guess the only way to know for sure would be if it were possible to do an identical piece that had none...........not possible! So I say ............great work here, Baxter!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

im loving it baxter, nicely done.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Went back out to the shop and took a few more pictures(had taken down the photo tent) but maybe it is just as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Pretty nice piece, Baxter. Is that black part rotten or was it just part of the bark on the tree? Either way it looks nice!
    Thanks Doug. Most of the black part isn't bark or rotten. Brought back two burls that day but had unloaded this one before I took the picture of the other one in the wagon.
    DSC_9543.jpg
    Its a little more weathered than the one I turned but might help explain. The part of the burl on the left still has some bark on it. On the right side, the bark is gone and the burl surface is weathered. A lot of what you see in the pictures as dark is the side that was more weathered/burl wasn't as big. I kind of liked the textured surface when I started so wanted to retain some of it. Maybe in my quest to keep the diameter over 12" I saved too much!
    DSC_9568.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Libby View Post
    Baxter, I like the piece alot.
    Is the remote switch magnetic?
    Also nice looking tool rests - Robust?
    Brian, I hope to add some magnets to the back of that switch but need to order them. I am hoping they will be strong enough to hold it. The switch pulls pretty hard. I have read they can do that when they become worn. The tool rests are homemade ones. Copied from a Robust picture though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kennedy UK View Post
    Great piece Baxter and a fab set of pics I love these start to finish threads too they are always interesting! great to see your home made deep hollowing rest great idea. As the nearly received owner of a 3520B (its in the country but not with me yet!) its wonderful to see the lathe dealing with a lump of wood that size! I am so looking forward to getting mine!

Thanks for sharing
    Thanks Richard. I am sure you are going to like your lathe! Although it handled that size piece of wood, I couldn't turn up the speed as much as I would have liked. It was just too unbalanced. Finished the outside adequately but I would have liked to have hollowed at a higher speed. First time I have used anything other than hand hollowing tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    That's a honkin' big cherry burl and a beautiful vase. This is one of those times when I find the inclusion distracting. It's just so overpowering. But (and it's a "big but") the form is great and in the second pic from the side that does not have a huge black hole in it, it's awesome. Also, a very creative "helper" for the boring bar.
    Thanks David. I know what you mean about the overpowering distraction part. The oil really darkened it up and made it stand out. I could have turned away most of it if I had gone down to an 11 inch diameter. 11 1/2 probably would have been best. I will just put it to the back!
    Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I think it looks fantastic, Baxter! I can see the point about the remaining bark, but I tend to like inclusions and such. My only 'complaint' is that I wish you'd have cropped the photos a little tighter, so I could see even more detail in the burl. I love the form, and the coloring is wonderful. Nice solution to the depth issue while hollowing as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks David. Here are a few closer up. Glare and all! Sorry there aren't any ants left.I found it interesting how the mouth and foot(not being burl) didn't gloss up with the oil nearly as quickly(or not at all).
    DSC_9562.jpgDSC_9577.jpgDSC_9581.jpgDSC_9563.jpg
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 03-22-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Baxter that is a good looking vase. It shows the wood very well. I also like the start to finish photos.
    Eugene in NC

Wow, that is a really sweet piece. The size is impressive, but the composition is what attracts me the most. The first pictures of the finished piece are very beautiful and graceful, then as the piece is rotated, it shows the inclusion. The two sides are really contrary to each other. The one side is really pretty and attractive, the other is almost grotesque or cancerous (in a good way!). I would call it "Beauty and the Beast."

Again, I really like this piece form form to finish, but especially it's contradictory nature!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

if you lose the bark you lose the piece and the piece is AWESOME!!!!! just flat out AWESOME!!!!

Baxter,
    Wish I had a keyboard. Great piece and post. Extraordinary.

An absolutely gorgeous piece. I love the form tremendously. Could go either way on the inclusion - but this is definitely one to be proud of!