Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spalted White Birch Hollow Form

Smile Spalted White Birch Hollow Form

Found a hollow form sitting on my storage shelf that I had roughed out in March of 2007… so I figured it was dry enough to finish! White Birch spalts beautifully but you have to pay attention because there is a very fine line between beautiful wood and too punky to turn! Still – I always figure it is worth the gamble!

Spalted White Birch, 8” diameter x 4 ½” high x 1/8” thick, sanded to 400 grit and has multiple coats of wipe-on poly.

Spalted White Birch v1.jpg Spalted White Birch v2.jpg Spalted White Birch v3.jpg Spalted White Birch v4.jpg Spalted White Birch v5.jpg Spalted White Birch v6.jpg Spalted White Birch v7.jpg Spalted White Birch v8.jpg

As always – your comments, opinions and/or critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow, that is some beautiful wood and, as always, I love your SW form. The finish is impeccable, I don't know how you manage to get a high gloss finish the doesn't distract from the beauty of the wood and form.

Steve, this one really made a beautiful form! The wood is striking - I still recall the rough out you sent me "early on!" Lot of variation in the color and spalting, and that adds a lot of interest. And, of course, it has the classic "Schlumpf finish!"

It must have been that 'super' full moon! There have been some incredible turnings posted recently!

Steve, this is just as nice as they get! That's beautiful wood and I'd say you hit that fine line just about perfect. I love how the spalting wraps around the bottom of the form. Everything thing about it is beautiful. Your finish jobs are always amazing. This is another for me to print out and add to my turning shrine in my shop.

5. Lovely piece I didn't realise that that shape had a specific geography! I will have to do some research into the SW form!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles

That is sooo sweet! I love your understated SW forms and this is a "classic". The wood is nice but it "ain't all that" and would not be nearly enough to redeem a lesser form. It adds a level of interest but the "bell ringer" is the form itself. I also have to agree with Nate in that the level of gloss is perfect. Enough to get the point across but not so much as to be distracting.
    David DeCristoforo

Another beauty, that wood has a lot going on in it.

That's really nice! I like the form, and the finish is fantastic. How'd you handle those little cracks around the knots? Another winner!

very nice....

You da man on this form fer sure! Just beautiful all the way around. Thx for posting.

I looked at the photo of the base (thanks!) and it is totally different in texture than any other view...amazing! As a always the finish is second to none!! Bravo!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Steve - nice looking wood. I like the form and finish.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

That is a classic - really nice. Each and every one of the pictures look terrific. Wondered what "SJS Woods" meant then figured it out. Why not put you name on it?

Steve that is a beautiful piece as is the wood. Love the form and the Schlumpf finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve, I always look forward to seeing your hollow forms. This one is one of the best. I really like the wood. As always the form and finish are great. Thanks for posting this.
    Eugene in NC