Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cherry Burl Vase

Baxter that is a remarkable piece of wood and you did a great job on it. Looks like it would be a lot of work but worth it. BTW what do you do with something like that, can you sell them? I think your helpers should be given a lot of credit for this success, I don't see how you could get that all done without them.

Well done Baxter!

You did it again with a great photo series and story along with a fine turned piece. I personally am quite fond of inclusions and go to lengths for fixturing to be able to hold and chuck items that would otherwise be cleaned of their voids for sake of fixturing.

Nice shape, as some have said, looks kinda Grecian perhaps...but I'm no expert on Grecian style.

We done!!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Gorgeous pieces Baxter and an outstanding photo series. I really enjoyed your progress shots and of course the helpers brought a smile to my face..Bill..

Thanks for all the nice comments. They are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    Wow, that is a really sweet piece. The size is impressive, but the composition is what attracts me the most. The first pictures of the finished piece are very beautiful and graceful, then as the piece is rotated, it shows the inclusion. The two sides are really contrary to each other. The one side is really pretty and attractive, the other is almost grotesque or cancerous (in a good way!). I would call it "Beauty and the Beast."

Again, I really like this piece form form to finish, but especially it's contradictory nature!
    Thanks Jon, I think you have given it a fitting name! I was on the fence about centering the piece on the pith to start with given the blank was not round. I thought it might end up being more stable this way and it might be neat to save a little bit of the woods history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    BTW what do you do with something like that, can you sell them? I think your helpers should be given a lot of credit for this success, I don't see how you could get that all done without them.
    Since the wife asked me "where are we displaying this?" in what I thought were positive tones,, I guess it will go somewhere in the house for now. My helpers are getting pretty good at getting a scoop full, not always so good at where it ends up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinehart View Post
    ......Nice shape, as some have said, looks kinda Grecian perhaps...but I'm no expert on Grecian style.

We done!!
    Thanks Tim. I am no style expert to say the least. Looking "kinda like...."something is all I could hope for!

Those are some good little helpers you have there, and I bet they were excited to help out.

I really like the vase - the form, color and even the bark. It is a beauty.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Baxter that is a smokin' piece of wood. You did QUITE well by it also.

Baxter
    I think about everything that can be said has been said, Very nice piece of wood and I like the shape,as usual your work is outstanding.

Great piece and pictures. Love the shop elves! I really miss mine at times.
    Owner: Silver Knight Studios
    Vice President Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for the nice comments. The wood was a hidden gem. Kind of hard to imagine that a couple weeks ago it was just a rotting burl in the woods. If it wasn't for a couple little kids wanting a tractor ride, it still would be. The helpers/shop elves do make me smile every time they come in. (Though its nice to have a shop to get away to as well at times!)